• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kick out of overdrive

Nomad1891

NAXJA Forum User
Converted my 2wd to 4wd couple years ago and every since then, my overdrive seems to kick off after about 5-10 mins of driving. I can shut the engine off and restart but that just seems to restart the cycle. Fluid looks good, new filter and that's about it. Any ideas

Specs of your heep? I would check/adjust brake switch, maybe also install a TC lockup switch.And, does it actually downshift, or does the TC unlock?

97 cherokee with 89 aw4 and np242. Brake switch? As far as does it actually downshift, the rpm's go up and it does feel like a downshift. How would I know if the TC is unlocking?

TC lockup is only usually a couple hundred RPMS depending on throttle position.

Drive home today. 60 mph gets me 1800 rpm's and then jumps to maybe 2050, I'm estimating here. So maybe the TC lockup switch maybe my answer. I'll have to do some searches. Thanks

A faulty or mis-adjusted brake switch is one of the common issues.
BUt it's also nice to be able to manually lock up the TC as well.

Checked switch and it is in contacted when it should be. Driving down the road I can slightly hit the brakes and it seems to unlock the converter but after about 5 mins of driving, the torque converter never seems to lock again, unless I turn off car and restart. It is repeatable

Did you ever figure this out? My '96 has been doing this for a while now and it's driving me nuts. I've replaced:

TPS
TCM
Fluid and filter
All solenoids
Added a cooler
Adjusted the kickdown cable
Verified the brake switch is fine

Nothing helps. It tends to only happen when it's warm and/or I've been driving for a while. Restarting the Jeep doesn't help.

Back