• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current spark plug recommendations for distributorless ignitions? (2000+)

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about due for another ignition tune-up, and last I heard, NGK's were recommended by Chrysler for the 4.0...

But then I learned that the 2000+ distributorless ignition system is actually a multiple-spark system (spark on compression *and* exhaust strokes?) that tends to wear out traditional copper plugs considerably faster.

That being said... Is it worth going with Iridium or Platinum plugs in the 2000+ models?

I'm about due for another ignition tune-up, and last I heard, NGK's were recommended by Chrysler for the 4.0...

But then I learned that the 2000+ distributorless ignition system is actually a multiple-spark system (spark on compression *and* exhaust strokes?) that tends to wear out traditional copper plugs considerably faster.

That being said... Is it worth going with Iridium or Platinum plugs in the 2000+ models?

The plug recommended is the NGK ZFR5N in the '00 and '01 motors, but Champion recommends their Iridium plugs (if you can figure out what their part number is) for waste spark ignition systems.

I wouldn't fool around with Iridium plugs, just go with the NGK plugs.

I have had good performance from Autolite Double Platinum APP985 in my 2000. 2000+ Wrangler owners like them also.

Went ahead and gapped them to .035... Old plug gaps had reached .040-.045.

They've yielded a substantial improvement in responsiveness and off-idle torque (as well as fuel economy improvement over the ~45 miles I've put on them - too early to say though). Not sure if they're any better than good-ol' copper plugs, but they've made a difference today.

.035 gap. APP985 should provide better performance, and last longer than plain old copper plugs.

Back