• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key reminder stuck on!

guiness_guy

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm getting my Jeep reassembled thanks to a few other members since getting it back. I have finished replacing the steering column and installed the new to me rekeyed ignition cylinder. Here's the issue. I installed everything and the Jeep fired right up. Then with the drivers door open I took the key out and the damn chime kept going. If the door is closed the chime stopped but when it's open it doesn't matter where the key or headlight switch is the chime wont stop. I've played with the cylinder, the door pressure switch, and checked every fuse and wire I can get my greasy hands on. I can't get it to stop.

I bought a 98 theft recovery XJ and had the same problem. Installing a good condition used ignition cylinder solved the problem for me. It might be possible that the ignition switch could cause the same symptoms.

The "key in" switch is wired in parallel with the headlamp actuator. The chime control has fused 12v on constant. Two things must happen for the chime to start: (1) either front door must be open and the key is inserted, (2) either front door open, and the headlamps are turned on.

Looking at the schematic, you have circuit G2620 shorted to ground or your ignition cylinder is not inserted correctly (keeping the "key in" switch actuated. On a 99' its light blue, not sure which year you have.

What happens when you pull the entire cylinder out?

You say you replaced the column, was this a swap? did you have to strip and butt connect some wires? If so you may have one tiny thread of wire grounding out.

Thanks roggom, I'll check it in AM. I'm thinking after you mention that I might have installed the cylinder after connecting the damn key in switch. I might have caused some binding sliding the cylinder in.

If this is a 95 or older column you may have messed up the "key in" switch. It is a little white thing with two copper fingers coming off of it. It plugs into the column above the key cylinder. If you bend them they will make the dinger go off.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

About a 1/4 of the way down the page is the "key in" switch.

Last edited:
If this is a 95 or older column you may have messed up the "key in" switch. It is a little white thing with two copper fingers coming off of it. It plugs into the column above the key cylinder. If you bend them they will make the dinger go off.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

About a 1/4 of the way down the page is the "key in" switch.
That's what happened to mine, replaced a broken ignition switch with an aftermarket model, the switch is internal and flimsy, two metal tabs that are pressed together when a tiny tab extends from the lock cylinder (inserting the key extends the tab), inserting the lock cylinder incorrectly can bend them up and this results.

Its nearly impossible to fix it, just NOT enough room to bend them back into shape properly and they are close enough fit, that they have to be near perfect, no ham fisted bending back near to original shape will work and that is all the room you have to work with.

If you disconnect the power source for the curtsey lamp, i.e. the illumination ring around the key hole, it will also kill the buzzer warning, doesn't get it working correctly but at least makes the malfunction more easy to live with.

WHAT YEAR IS YOUR JEEP?

Shit like that matters when asking for help on the internet.

guiness_guy needs to identify the year of his XJ.

Mine is a '95, that had the same problem, so that falls right in line with all the posts that '95 and early have a little metal tabs that are easily bent up and screw up the buzzer warning for leaving a key in the ignition when the door is open.

Back