• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy clunking noise from a hard start.

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been having this clunking feeling and noise sometimes that I attributed to what I thought was my trans slipping, then this morning I had to accelerate hard from a dead stop to avoid getting rear ended and it did it right from the jump. The back of the jeep made the noise and I could feel it. I absolutely feel now that it isn't the trans. Any ideas what could be the culprit. It really only does it when I get into it.

Clunking noise under acceleration is most likely slop in the pinion gear on the rear axle, dealing with the same issue on my brothers rig and or I could be a U-Joint going out or
a control arm bushing in the front or leaf spring bushing in the rear that had worn out and is allowing things to shift around when stopping or accelerating. In my experience the trans on the XJ is extremely reliable and more than likely isn't your issue

Could be the exhaust pipe hitting the trans cross member. Mine all seem to do this eventually, the exhaust settles some with age and/or the transmission mount gets old.

Back