• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling Problem, 88 Renix

willi2ds

NAXJA Forum User
I just upgraded to Volvo injectors and did a "cold air" intake, while I had the intake and exhaust manifolds off (cracked Exh manifold). Truck drove and idled fine after putting everything back together. Now it runs for about 10 minutes, driving or idling and then dies and has to sit a good 1/2hr before it'll restart. I also did a new CPS as well?
Another odd thing is after trying to restart it and then turning it off, there's a clicking sound for about 30 seconds afterwards, sounds like the injectors trying to fire. Any thoughts?

What brand crank sensor did you install? You could be suffering from "thermal failure" (heat related) on the crank sensor.

I install only Mopar crank sensors. Aftermarket crank sensors are very "hit and miss" with a lot of miss.

Best guess is your CPS and/or O2/engine temp./ knock sensor wires are melting on the manifold.

I had a CPS that would crap out when it got hot and the motor would refuse to start. On a hunch one day I poured a bottle of water over the CPS and the motor fired right up. Another CPS cured that problem.

You can measure the ohms on the CPS cold and then again hot, not a definitive answer but sure might be an indicator, mine went from 125 ohms cold to 180 hot.

People always want to assume a new sensor is a solution. It may or may not be, it is a package of the sensor, the wiring and the connectors any of which can have high resistance, corrosion or damage. Something as simple as oil on a connector can cause issues if all you are pushing is half a volt (typical CPS pulse voltage).

Another thing to consider, is checking the fuel pump ballast resistor.
driver side, front of fender. small metal piece with 2 wires connected to it. Check the connection and even bypass it to see if your issue resolves.

Back