• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear suspension travel questions

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
When I put my two inch lift on my xj a few years ago I used quadratec HD leaves attached to my existing stock main leaf (a bastard pack). In order to avoid overcompression of the Old Man Emu N35 (or was it N36 ) shocks I purchased, I replaced the stock rear bumpstops with MJ bumpstops for an increase in bumpstop length of 1.2 inches. I am now considering increasing my tire size to 32 or 33 inches from the 31’s I’ve been using for awhile, so I am reviewing the adequacy of my current bumpstop setup. I went to a ramp today and tested my maximum rear tire uptravel and noticed at max compression my bumpstop does not even touch the axle. So..I am thinking what I should have done is bought or made the extended ubolt plate style bumpstop extension and used them in combination with the stock bumpstops. The problem with using this combo is that you lose three inches of uptravel which with a two inch lift seems excessive, or so it seems to me.

On to my questions.

I am not going to increase my lift height, but would purchase wheels with less backspace than stock. Assuming I do the standard cut and fold trimming on my rear wheel openings and modify my bumpstop setup to include the ubolt extension plates, will my suspension travel be seriously compromised or will the decreased uptravel on one side simply be compensated with increased droop on the other side?

How have other people adjusted bumpstops on modestly lifted xj’s?

When discussing proper bumpstopping most people cite limiting shock compression and keeping tires off their fenders as reasons for doing so. But do we not also need to concern ourselves with fatiguing our springs?

I have a piece of 2x4 square tube that was home brewed to bolt in between factory style bump and the frame. Maybe do that combo'd with a progressive bump stop. If you want bigger tires with "less lift" there will be some sacrifice. How you do that is up to you.
Also, you do not want your leafs to invert much, if at all. Ideally flat angle at most on compression.
With deavers and other jeepspeed type packs that have more, thinner leafs seem to do better with inversion.

So..I am thinking what I should have done is bought or made the extended ubolt plate style bumpstop extension and used them in combination with the stock bumpstops. The problem with using this combo is that you lose three inches of uptravel
um, what?? Your tire size choice cost you the uptravel...

How have other people adjusted bumpstops on modestly lifted xj’s?

When discussing proper bumpstopping most people cite limiting shock compression and keeping tires off their fenders as reasons for doing so. But do we not also need to concern ourselves with fatiguing our springs?
2- Make it hit bump at the right time
MX4EfX1.jpg

tWOe5C3.jpg

3- The children the children, wont anyone think of the children. I DGAF about my leafs, or how they feel. i do not go negative arch at full bump either though.

um, what?? Your tire size choice cost you the uptravel...

Ummhhh..not really...no. I have plenty of uptravel untrimmed with 31 inch tires and going to 33's I will more than make up for the added one inch in tire radius by cut/fold trimming. Tire clearance on the fender is no problem. The limiting factor to uptravel is leaf spring compression/flattening, IOW making sure not to invert the spring pack.

Just wondering from looking at your bumpstop configuration, it looks like you have not much more than an inch of uptravel. What lift and tire size are you running? Do you get good droop on the one side when uptravel on the other side is maxed out?

Thanks XCM and JW.

Ummhhh..not really...no. I have plenty of uptravel untrimmed with 31 inch tires and going to 33's I will more than make up for the added one inch in tire radius by cut/fold trimming. Tire clearance on the fender is no problem. The limiting factor to uptravel is leaf spring compression/flattening, IOW making sure not to invert the spring pack.

Just wondering from looking at your bumpstop configuration, it looks like you have not much more than an inch of uptravel. What lift and tire size are you running? Do you get good droop on the one side when uptravel on the other side is maxed out?

Thanks XCM and JW.
Gonna dissagree on the first paragraph, but oh well... schemantics.

On the second paragraph, no, that is not ride height. That vehicle is on 31's, 3" Lift on ford wheels (inside the wheel well when stuffed). At ride height i have rougly 5" uptravel on the shocks, 4.5" between on the bump pads. It was setup semi conservatively, mainly to stop bottoming out the shocks and increase ride quality. It flexes allright,(the front isnt setup fully, yet) but to be honest, I would much rather have a lifted jeep with bumpstops that hit, than a jeep with a liiiiitttttle bit more flex that rides like ASS whenever you hit a bump going over 5mph.

Back