• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you swap an NP242 easily?

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all so today I decided to go to the JY even though it was cold, and I am glad I did. As one of the only people put there I found a nice XJ that had just been brought in and I scored a NP242 for 51 bucks. I like the 242 simply for the fact that you get the 4HI full time as well as part time. I have a 95 XJ with a 231, so I guess what I am wanting to know is how difficult it is to swap the two. I also picked up the console for the other XJ to match. As well as the Hella Headlights, the roofrack, a new rear bumper, and a ZJ tie rod. Thanks for any help.

Swap is easy, you will need the 242 front driveshaft aswell, any 91-95 will work

I grabbed it as well when I bought the other parts, Rob do you recommend the swap? Should I buy a 242 rebuild kit and bust that out before doing the swap?

Its a straightforward swap, lot of physical labor. You need to change the shifter gate in the cab and the bezel. The 231 and 242 are wired up a little different--there is a little sub-harness for the 242 that you need, so if you didn't get that with the transfer case you probably ought to go back and pull it from the donor (I had to order from dealership, not sure its still available).

What year is the transfer case? should be stamped on the red tag

There's no difference in driveshaft length (no different part numbers for transfer case) except rear driveshaft length is different for 95-down and 96-up

Different people have reported differences in input spline count and depth but it seems to be based on transmission type more than anything else.

Speedo output is different for the years but you can remove the one you currently have and switch it in

Last edited:
There's no difference in driveshaft length (no different part numbers for transfer case) except rear driveshaft length is different for 95-down and 96-up

I've had 2 242 rigs,both had longer get driveshafts the 231 xjs. All were aw4's

Check the parts catalogs, none of the driveshaft part numbers reference the transfer case.

Don't care what the catalogs say, this is real world with real jeeps.

Don't care what the catalogs say, this is real world with real jeeps.
You told him to get a part, it would be helpful if the part exists to be ordered. Every MOPAR driveshaft has a part number sticker on it. There are different numbers for 2wd/4wd, transmission (length), rear axle (pinion size), but not for transfer case. The output yokes for the 231 and 242 are in the same physical position and use the same u-joints. If you have drive shaft part numbers for different transfer cases I'd sure like to see them.

Damn I didn't even know that was you that said that Rob, I usually take what you, ehall, cal, russ, and Van say as gospel, lol

You told him to get a part, it would be helpful if the part exists to be ordered. Every MOPAR driveshaft has a part number sticker on it. There are different numbers for 2wd/4wd, transmission (length), rear axle (pinion size), but not for transfer case. The output yokes for the 231 and 242 are in the same physical position and use the same u-joints. If you have drive shaft part numbers for different transfer cases I'd sure like to see them.

he can just go to the junkyard, find a 242 xj, and pull the frt shaft. and ive yet to see a stock driveshaft with a ledgable pn sticker.

I have a 97 XJ 242 and a 01 XJ 231. Right now the 97 XJ has the front driveshaft from my 01 XJ. I haven't noticed any problems with interchangeability. It is possible that when the Jeeps rolled off the line they had different driveshafts and over the years Jeep eliminated some of the variations and now they do not show up in current catalogs. I think you'd need to look at old parts catalogs to confirm. Just a recent example, I wanted a new rear exhaust hanger for my 97 XJ and the dealer part wasn't any more expensive that McParts. I bought it from them. Turns out the dealer rolled the part to the newer style that I have on my 01 XJ.

Back