• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement hard brake line- what is a good flare tool?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace the hard brake line running from the PV to the rear axle on my '87. I've never madeup flare-type fittings before. So, I'd rather buy a good quality flare tool. Your opinions on a good one would be appreciated.

And, if anyone has done this, you opinions/experience would also be appreciated. I planed on buying some brake line in bulk and making one line.

the OEM brand kit is decent.
HF kit is crap

practice beforehand. don't forget the tube nut before flaring

I have the Rigid branded one. I really like it. used it last night infact. Remember that you're making a "double flare" so when you're buying a kit, ensure it has a method to do that.

The Rigid has a button that you insert for the first cycle, then remove and re-flare for the 2nd. Works good.

Also ensure that you have a good tubing roller cutter and de-burring tool to go with it.

X2 Rigid Brand. Not cheap!

Why not just buy some pre made brake lines at the parts store and save yourself hundred dollars?

Why not just buy some pre made brake lines at the parts store and save yourself hundred dollars?
I kind of agree with this. Your local parts stores will have several lengths of hard brake line, with the correct fittings. All you have to do is bend them how you need them. This is what most of the shops my parts store delivers to, do. Even if you cut and splice in new lines, unions and other fittings are available for those needs as well.
There are even short lines with adapter size fittings on the ends.

Another thing if you do decide to make your own. make sure you install the fitting on the line BEFORE you flare it.

meh. I've done premade. What happens when it's 2" too long and you've got to find something to do with it?

I usually buy a premade longer than I need and cut one end off and reflare to exact length.
It's cheaper to buy a premade than to buy line and fittings, and it saves me from doing one end.

You didn't ask, and it hasn't been mentioned, but a decent bending tool is probably necessary too. If you didn't ask because you already have that covered, then great. No issue there. Otherwise, add one of those to your shopping list too. I have a pair of nice ones (different sizes) from Eastwood that have served me well.

I have the double flare kit from Mac tools. I think it was around $50. It works great. I did the lines on my 8.25 and used it to make some vacuum lines with flared ends. Even the best tool can seem like they suck if the tube isn't prepped well.

X3 for the Rigid double flare kit.

I tried the "Performance Tool" line from autozone first. Very challenging to not split lines and about 50% of the ones I thought were OK leaked. That was a huge mistake with much swearing and wasted time involved. Brake flaring tools are not one to go cheap on. You can use pre-made lines but generally that forces you to do "service loops" which often look hacked even if you can make them function. I use premade lines and remake one end to get it perfect. Note, you still need to use the Rigid kit carefully, pay attention to nice cuts and no burrs before you start. I learned some lessons about being careful on the cheap tool. However, I don't think I've screwed one up yet using the Rigid and that was never the case on the cheap tool no mater how careful I thought I was being. Doing a couple practice flares is a good call too.

If you plan to be playing with cars for a while it's worth having a good tool. Hunt ebay if you don't want to pay retail.

Last edited:
Snapon for the win.

meh. I've done premade. What happens when it's 2" too long and you've got to find something to do with it?

I usually buy a premade longer than I need and cut one end off and reflare to exact length.
It's cheaper to buy a premade than to buy line and fittings, and it saves me from doing one end.

I do this too, and rent the full kit from the store 'cause I'm cheap.

The Harbor Freight Kit works fine, Just watch a few instructional videos on youtube & PRACTICE until you get it correct.
I used the Cupro-Nickel brake line materiel, easier to use than stainless & very durable.

Another vote for Rigid. I'd had two or three other flare tools before I stepped up to a Rigid. I will never, ever go back.

The 345 is the one I have. It is quite good. Worlds better than the parts store stuff. They make a higher end unit, the 458, but for most of us I think the 345 is all you need.

Back