• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm bushing replacement

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
So in my fumbling around to discover what things need to get done before summer time I noticed that majority of all my control arm bushings are shot. Uppers, lowers, you name it they are pretty toast. I was looking around and see some people will just replace the whole arm as it's easier and others will replace just the bushing. My question is which should I do, swap bushings, swap arms or keep saving for the new lift? If I just buy new arms do they need to be anything in particular or just stockers? I currently have a RE 4" lift that has the lower control arms the uppers are still stock. The lift came over on the mayflower and has seen better years so I am planning to get an IRO 5.5 critical path long arm probably next summer. In the mean time for replacing the bushings what would be the best route? I was looking on rockauto and they have new MOOG upper arms for about 25 each, bushings are about 6. Time is money for me and I'd rather not spend an entire weekend swapping bushings. Thoughts? Thanks

When time is money, replacing the entire arm is the best answer. Checking Rock Auto, there isn't a huge price difference either.
The stock CAs are stamped sheet metal and can be difficult to get the stock bushings out without crushing the arms.

Check with you local NAXJA chapter and see if anyone has some good, stock control arms laying around, after a lift. You can usually get those for a six pack.

Thanks for the replies. Alright perfect, I'll ask around and see.

to maintain caster at 4" stock uppers and longer lowers are needed just like you have. I don't know about the RE lower arms. Uppers are two bushings pressed into the axle and two in the arms.

Back