• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barreries

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been doing some reading on batteries. I have found that the Optima, that once sat on the top of the hill, now has a 50/50 following. I was looking at running a blue top but there isn't enough really good reviews on it.

So I put it to you. Thoughts on batteries:lecture:

I know of 4 Rigs running newer blue tops (1 is mine) and love them

Great deep cycle battery!!

My experience with Exide orbitals was terrible

Yeah I did read about Optima going to Mexico and going to crap. But there is still a 50 / 50 like for the battery. Most people hated the red top but seemed to ok with the blue & yellow top. Im still leaning to the blue unless I can find a great reason to not.

I use to sell Optima back in the day. I had only one in a Ford diesel truck that lasted 10 years. I replaced it with another and another and another. Long story shot I use Deka now.

I use Deka now.

X2, I run a Deka Intimidator AGM. It has top terminals and side terminals, which is nice for running accessories. I bought it at East Penn off Airport Way, back in 2009 I want to say. Eight or nine hundred cranking amps paired with some good cables really made a difference in starter performance.

It's been used in three Jeeps, but anymore it just seems to sit uncharged for weeks at a time. For the first time ever I had to jump the Jeep after letting it sit for 6 weeks. I think it had to do with the power adapter I had plugged in a the time, because it fires up like normal now.

When it reaches it's life span, I'll be tossing in another one. Great all around battery.

I had bad results with a Red top Optima in the past, but I love the Yellow top Optima that I am running right now. The yellow top has discharged fully several times (due to an electrical draw that is now fixed) and it still holds a charge fine when I recharge it.

Go to batteries plus and get a northstar battery.
Optima is 50/50 be cause only half of them work.
Most people that stand behind them don't have new ones. And the ones that have new ones that work are lucky.

I had a yellow top that was 2 years old, never had an issue. I no longer own that exact battery (got jacked) but I am certain it wasn't on its way out. My wife on the other hand had one balloon on her xj two days after we bought the battery. The warranty replacement is 6 months old so its too early to tell... It really does seem like a 50/50.

Most people that stand behind them don't have new ones. And the ones that have new ones that work are lucky.

Some people confuse the red tops (stock replacement) for the blue/yellow

Mine are made in Mexico so are Scott's

No issues with my yellowtop, and the only time i run it is when im wheeling, its not a dd and can sit for weeks, to months at a time, always fires right up. Going on 4 years now. Still runs the warn in and out quick as the day i bought it.

My alternator crapped out on me while wheeling up in rimrock, about 2 hours from my house. It got me off the trail and home, with the lights and heater on.. This happened last year, great batteries if you aks me!

I like the refurbished ones for $30. They last forever and are cheap as hell.

Have you looked at sears at the die hard platniums? They are just a re branded odyssey battery.

I have been looking at all batteries & reviews on them. There is a lot of "opinion" out there on the "right battery". I know the red top is out. And so its just deciding what will work the best. Its pretty cool reading every one comments on the battery they have Vs the battery they hate.

I might just see what I can find at the swap meet. But either way I will have a battery in the next two weeks.

I just replaced the batteries in all my quads, so at least there ready to go!!

Its right down the street from my house, I will be stopping by to see what they have.

I've ran yellows since 2005.First yellow ran until 2013 when I sold the jeep. I ran it near dead on numerous occasions bumpng the sound system up camping/wheeling for hours off just the battery. Never had to start it up, til around 4 in the am. I run the yellow again, new style, and push close to 5,000 watts on this stereo. Still able to run it for hours. Now I've heard good and bad, also the company is back in better hands, not sure of the validity of that. If I didn't love them, I would run sears/oddysey. So, from my experience, yellows or blues are the way for me.

Back