• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with power steering upgrades

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
Happy Monday all,

I am needing some help getting my power steering conundrum solved. As it is today nothing has completely crapped out but I imagine it will only be a matter of time. The power steering pump leaks all over and the box is pretty sloppy. I’ve read around and still can’t seem to figure out exactly what is going to be the best route for me. At first I was just going to get a reman gear box and pump but almost everyone says they are more useful as a boat anchor. I’ve looked at doing the Durango upgrade but then I feel like I’m back at square one having either a used pump or a crappy reman. I’ve looked at PSC and AGR and the cost is just a little hard for me to swallow right now. I had thought about getting a box from redhead and they aren’t as much cost wise and I’ve read some decent reviews. I’ve also considered doing a red neck ram but again cost and what it is maybe a little overkill for what I am doing. Any input or advice is appreciated….

So here is what I have 93 Jeep XJ, lifted 4” with 33” tires, 4.11 gears 8.8 w/ LSD in rear IRO tie rod, IRO double shear track bar and RE quick discons, probably a few things I’m missing. This is my DD but I do wheel it through some fairly gnarly trails. Eventually I will retire it and keep it as a dedicated wheeler but until I get an oversized go cart to make a DD this is it.

Thanks,

Did the stock pump and box work well enough before they blew out? Remans are the fastest cheapest fix. Yeah its a gamble but they work just fine when you win the coin toss. Best to work with a local retailer for that so you can deal with returns. You should also replace your lines if they have any moisture around the joints--they push fluid out when it heats up and draw air in when its cooling down. A basic tube and fine fluid cooler will go a long way too.

WJ box and PSC pump will get you a lot more power

I've had problems with both reman pumps and boxes, but I'd throw a reman box on again in a heartbeat. For the pump, I think if you can find a low-mile OE from a junkyard, it's a valid attempt. I have a reman on mine, and carry a spare!

Send your box the PSC and have them rebuild it, cost me less then half of what they sell for a d its the same thing once rebuilt. Might as well get their pump too at the same time. Then down the road it'll just be a matter of buying a ram/hoses and you'll have assist.

Yeah the stock set-up was fine but I only had 31's on it then, I just put on the 33's a few weeks ago. So i don't know how it would do offroad. I was planning on doing the lines and also adding in a cooler plus running synthetic fluid. I guess I'm looking at the down the road approach. I don't want to spend 200-300 on remans only to have it crap out in 2 years and be doing it all over again. Plus the thought of trial and error to find a working part drives me nuts. I also eventually plan on running 35's so I don;t want to just get a bandaid fix but don't want to spend a small fortune fixing it....I know practically impossible.

I'll have to look into how PSC would charge for a rebuild on the box only problem would be the down time. I really don't want to have to spend more than $500 right now but for the right part I'd spend more.

Last edited:
I'll have to look into how PSC would charge for a rebuild on the box only problem would be the down time. I really don't want to have to spend more than $500 right now but for the right part I'd spend more.

Mine cost around 300 I think for it to be fully built and setup for assist with all their goodies. You could always grab one from a junkyard and send that in so there's no down time.

Cool Thanks foxwar71. I'll give them a jingle and see what i'd be looking at.

I rebuilt my 89 box last year. It was really easy. then a Acdelco pump and its been trouble free for a year so far. I went with the JY route before only to have it leak in a week.

After some more reading I may look into having the box rebuilt and tapped for a hydro assist in the future. I'm going to call over to PSC today and see what they say cost wise. I do know I would have to eventually swap out the tie rod for a knuckle to knuckle one and ditch the y link setup. Depending on the cost I may also look into to just getting a decent pump (AGR or PSC) and getting a reman gear box. As far as I've read it more so the problem with the pump than the gear box when it comes to remans.

Stay away from agr. PSC pump and box you will not regret.

Just called PSC they said 280 for a rebuild on my box and 350 to rebuild and tap it. Called redhead steering and there's is 356 for a rebuild -$100 core so 256 but they are not able to tap the box. So now I'm at the crossroads of paying extra to have it tapped so that in the future when I swap out the steering (again) I can run a hydro assist or just leaving as is and if the day comes I want to run hydro then I get to tap it myself. The other pickle is not having a vehicle because I am waiting on the gear box. Since this is my DD downtime is a problem. At least with red head I would not have downtime. Thoughts?

I'd say no bigger than 35's and it would probably be a year or so...

In the 11 years I have owned my XJ, I have replaced the power steering pump three times and the box three times.
The first two pumps and boxes, were brand-name remanufactured units and they all failed quickly or were bad right out of the box.

Third time, I gave up and ordered a new PSC pump and big-bore box and have never looked back. That was many years and miles ago.
If time is money and reliability is also important, spend the bucks upfront, you will not regret it.
Keep your steering system alive longer with a cooler and a inline filter.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-20-0038f

Cool, thanks for the info. So far I am planning on sticking with the PSC pump. The box is where I am going back and forth right now, but am leaning towards one from redhead. I agree 100% about spending the money upfront and the more I hear about remans or rebuilds the less I want to go that route just the thought of 500+ for a steering box makes me cringe a little. I am already planning on running a cooler and filter and running syn fluid in it as well.

Back