• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Winch bumper build thread.

MatthewFenn1997

NAXJA Forum User
Built a rear bumper for my MJ a while back, now I'm gonna start on a winch bumper. I'm pretty busy, so it may be a slow going process. But I'll be updating the thread with pics as I make progress. Subscribe for updates and I'm always open to opinions and criticism.

Cut fenders and relocated the vacuum canister that's bolted to the stock bumper. Remember to be careful when removing the OE bumper. You may damage the can.
3ade80335cc14c56c2f3eb7a89a4fd14.jpg
3372830e10092a871cf1f92d5b493732.jpg
c1db98cd5bbdd644c86578cd4b731fbb.jpg
4270ae8595452981c00b6138371b530f.jpg

There was a bolt hole behind the battery that worked perfectly for the canister. So it's fixed securely. Be careful with the tubes. The smaller tube was very brittle. So I had to be careful to not crack it.

I trimmed 1" below the header panel with an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel, then made relief cuts and bent the last inch up under to create a smooth edge. I just used a razor blade to cut the plastic fender flare. If you're careful and move slow, you can make a perfect cut.

Also, the plastic flare is bolted on. You'll end up losing 2 of the points causing it to want to pull away from the sheet metal. I used industrial epoxy to fix it because getting a self tap into the tight space would be pretty tough.

Got pics of rear bumper by chance?

Gonna cut off the tow hitch and lap weld brackets onto the stubs. Factory tow package can't be removed without pullin the bed too. That's why I'm just gonna cut it. And double pass lap the stubs with new bumper brackets. And probably box it in a bit for support. And move the hitch into the bumper. A lot of things I'm gonna do differently. The rear was my first bumper build. Not bad. But not what I want for my rig when it's finished.

I like the simplicity of the rear bumper. If the price is right, I may be interested in the rear bumper. After I remove my utility bed and swap the bed from my project MJ I will not have a rear bumper. let me know.

I like the simplicity of the rear bumper. If the price is right, I may be interested in the rear bumper. After I remove my utility bed and swap the bed from my project MJ I will not have a rear bumper. let me know.
The bumper was built on the truck. So it's a bit of a tight fit. I would recommend you know how to use an OA torch so you can bend the brackets a bit if you need to. And also, I live in California. So if you arent in driving distance or like the next state over, it wouldn't be worth it to ship it. If you're near me, I'd love to steal your MJ for a few days and I could build one for you. We can collab and I'll design something that's exactly what you want.

The bumper was built on the truck. So it's a bit of a tight fit. I would recommend you know how to use an OA torch so you can bend the brackets a bit if you need to. And also, I live in California. So if you arent in driving distance or like the next state over, it wouldn't be worth it to ship it. If you're near me, I'd love to steal your MJ for a few days and I could build one for you. We can collab and I'll design something that's exactly what you want.
I live near the Oceano dunes, about 20 min sould of SLO. So, I guess close-ish. I've driven to Sac, bay area, LA and the IE for parts and stuff. Not sure when I would be able to get up there. But that would be fun. I need to swap beds first before putting a bumper on.

Here's some quick sketches with a couple rough measurements I drew up in class. Sorta basing off the TNT bumper. But putting my own spin on it. Plus a sketch of the rear I will build to match.
4c59ef0440fd90f1cbd3682646d74ff6.jpg
2e53b3f769f7145b953630098c1eeae9.jpg

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here. But if the tube bending works out okay for my bumpers, that sketch on the side is a new roll bar that'll be more like 1-3/4 or 2" DOM tube because the double bar 4" is just ridiculous. Completely wastes almost half of my already pint sized bed.

Back