• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driveshaft chirping - driveable?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
The DC joint on my rear DS is chirping. It just started, and I've only driven about 10 miles since then. Can I drive a bit before fixing, or am I risking further damage? My XJ has a home made BB of about 3" and an SYE with a custom rear DS. I was able to narrow the noise to rear DS by having the rear tires on ice in 2wd, so the front shaft wasn't turning. Winter is good for something.

What others have said... angry sparrows... need grease. I grease front and rear drive shafts every oil change to keep the birds away. Bit of a pain as I have to pull the CV end off from the transfer-case to get to the grease fitting. Might be overkill but I know they are in good shape.

Yes, angry sparrows - that is exactly what I'm hearing. Hopefully grease is all I need. Now I just need to be home at the same time the sun is out. Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it parked until I can get under it.

Solid advice as always. It killed me to have the Jeep sitting in the driveway during the last snow, but now it's all greased up and no more angry sparrows.

Back