• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat housing and rtv

austinandtina

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have finally decided to use thermostat rtv since I can't stop this dumb leak. it's been 24 hours and it's still tacky. I live in northern il and the temp is fluctuating from 11 to negative 20 how much longer should I wait before this is cured

I've never waited until it was cured. I put the housing on, fill the system with fluid, and drive.

Last time I tried that it spewed coolant everywhere and I had to go through the process of taking apart and re doing it. Have had it apart around 20 times now lol

I just did the water pump and t-stat on my kids YJ. I used a gasket and a light smear of blue RTV on each side, mostly to hold the gasket in place, but figure it would help should there be any uneven surfaces.

Did the same on my XJ several years ago - no issues

Ya I used a gasket as well so hopefully this will take care of the leak. After doing a headgasket, new tires, floorpans, some bumper and fender trimming, rewire aux fan for toggle and new thermostat a week after I bought this xj. Has been a pain in my butt lol. Seems like every weekend is devoted to my xj

I had trouble with the thermostat housing leaking on my '94 4.0 several years ago. I got to looking and it appears there were enough imperfections in the housing to cause trouble. It's pretty soft metal. I used a piece of sand paper over a flat plane to freshen the surface. I've had no troubles since.

Already did digger put er on with just gasket and squirt more than.. well it leaked alot. So I thought I'd try some rtv which is still tacky

I live in northern Il too, and just put in my new thermostat and housing.

I used black hi temp RTV, and the gasket.

I waited about an hour before filling it up with coolant and running the engine.

Chances are the surfaces arent clean, or you have a warped/cracked housing.

I live in northern Il too, and just put in my new thermostat and housing.

I used black hi temp RTV, and the gasket.

I waited about an hour before filling it up with coolant and running the engine.

Chances are the surfaces arent clean, or you have a warped/cracked housing.
Well if your close you could always come visit and see for yourself lol

Easy way to check the housing for flat.

Use a piece of 320 grit sand paper on a flat table or surface. Rub the gasket side of the housing on the sand paper for 30 seconds. Then look at it.

High spots will be sanded, low spots will not be sanded.

Sand until the whole surface is sanded.

Use dish soap to clean the mating surfaces of coolant. RTV sucks at sticking to surfaces coolant has touched.

I used the black hi temp RTV. I applied it on the aluminum housing evenly, stock the gasket on it, then applied another even coat on the head.

I then put the housing on the head with the two bolts, tightened them up by hand with just a socket. After a few minutes i tightened them up with the ratchet.

Finished doing other crap, then i added my coolant and went on with life.

Where are you in northern IL?

Have you tried a hair dryer, or heat gun on the metal surfaces before applying RTV, and after bolting on the housing?

Is the thermostat in correctly?

I had an issue with the thermostat housing leaking after replacing the tstat. For me the trouble was left over coolant trapped in the head. After I put the housing on and sealed it all up the coolant would seep out and destroy the gasket or RTV before it was able to seal.

I soaked up the trapped coolant in the head before installing and it sealed perfectly after that. Any time I do that job now I make sure to soak up any trapped coolant and I always use the thermostat housing RTV and haven't had any issues. I let the RTV setup over night or 24 hours always too just to be sure it has had time to fully cure. With your cold temperatures though I don't know, here in AZ that's not an issue.

If you have to take it apart again I would check for any left over coolant and soak it up, may help.

This rtv vs that rtv is not your problem, all the things listed in your old thread ( as well as what's listed above) are your issues.

Try glueing in the tstat with the rtv of your choice, prior to installing the housing, so you are 100% positive it's not moving during install.

Back