• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 knocking

hoopty1111

NAXJA Forum User
1998 4.0 5speed 4x4 128,000miles

A few weeks ago my Jeep began making a knocking diesel like sound. It happens when it is in Neutral and the clutch out and it can be heard throughout all 5 gears. When I step on the clutch I can hear it wind down and completely go away.

I put the transfer case in neutral and it did the same thing as i shifted through the gears. When I got under it the sound seems to be coming from the front near the bellhousing. When I first start it up, It sounds almost like something is clunking around in there.

I havent been able to check the fluid yet but it does not leak and I changed the fluid with Redline MT90 when I had the trans out roughly two years ago.

A few days before this started my friend grinded the gears pretty bad going into first. So i wouldnt be surprised if this is related.

It shifts fine throughout all the gears

I'm pulling it again as soon as I can get it into my buddies garage to take a look.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Keep us updated to what you find. I rebuilt a AX15 for my wrangler figuring at 250,000 miles it wasn't going to last forever. Its now at 321,000 and still running strong.

Back