• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Question

bamajosh

NAXJA Forum User
Good afternoon,
I have 2000 XJ. I got my build sheet from Chrysler and it says I have the C 8.25 in it. Bought gears for the install in the rear and bought another D30 with 4.88's already in the front. Took the Jeep to the gear installer and he just called and said I have a D35 in there. So sometime before i got the Jeep somebody installed a D35.

My question is this, I can get a C 8.25 from the junkyard. Should it be just a straight swap on the rear end? I have about 5" of lift currently. I also had the drum brakes completely rebuilt 2 summers ago. Will any of that swap over to the C8.25? Do I need to get another driveshaft?

Thanks,
Josh

late-model 8.25 will swap over, brake parts should swap over

your driveshaft may be short, depending on how much lift and if you still have slip yoke

[ps--it happens, my pos also had a factory 8.25, it was damaged in a rear-end collision by the PO and the Jeep dealer that did the work swapped in a D35]

Last edited:
You could jut get a c8.25 with the brakes and driveshaft from the same vehicle...but you have another problem. IIRC, the lowest gears (numerical highest gears) for the c8.25 are 4.56's.

Good choice. 97+ is 29 splines and similar to strength of a Dana 44 rear

I've been beating on mine hard for 2 years and it hasn't even blinked. Well other than needing normal wear and tear locker parts.

Back