• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year XJ 99or 01?

2001xj-jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help from you guys that have owned multiple jeeps. I have the option of buying the 99 or 01 Jeep XJ, which one do you guys think I should go with? I have a two door red one and two four-door red cinnamon I believe is the color kind of a dark red.

The major downfalls of the 2001 are a weak cylinder head and more complicated emisisons/ exhaust system with 3 catalytic converters and 4 O2 sensors. It also comes with a LP front axle and probably a D35 rear axle. Make sure the 2001 engine is in good shape with no bearing wear from a potentially cracked (or previously cracked) cylinder head. The 1999 is your better choice unless it is in poor condition.

Six of one, half dozen of the other really. Everyone is going to tell you to look for a crack in the 0331 head in the 2001. I have an '01 that's never given me any trouble.

Drive them, see what is a better platform, look at the mileage, the service history, the cost and make your decision on what you prefer.

If condition is close to equal between the two I would go '99 and even better if it is Fed emissions not Cal.

The one thing to watch for is the rear end, could be a 35 or 8.25, always best with the latter.
Not sure when ABS started, if it has it, the read axle will be a 35 for sure.

As already mentioned the '99 will have a HP front axle and the '01 will be LP

Happy Shopping !

IMO the 99 is the best year on paper. I would choose the 99 over the 01 but if the 01 is in much better condition then go with that. As stated the 01 has a low pinion front axle and the 99 will have the stronger high pinion. Also, if either of them have ABS then it will have a dana 35 rear axle instead of the stronger c8.25

Thanks for all the input guys I'm not gonna be doing any heavy rock crawling or mudding, maybe some lite trails and a daily driver pretty much probably 3 inch lift with 31s on it!

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that !
You think this is just recreational and will not turn into a hardcore habit ? :eek:

That's how it all begins.

Back