• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TORXfest IX: Feb 20-22

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
TORXreport: TORXfest IX​
February 20-22, 2015​
Tillamook State Forest

Another year down, and as always this was a truly enjoyable trip with some great company. Both on the trail, and around the campfire.​
Friday after work I headed home to finish packing for the weekend. After some pit stops around town I was ready to go. The plan was to rendezvous with Nick in North Plains, and we'd convoy to Horse Camp. The two of us rolled in to camp around 7:00 that evening. Curtis had already been there maneuvering his land yacht trailer into position.

Big shout out to Curtis for supplying a virtual endless supply of fire wood for the weekend. Much appreciated! We started making a fire and not soon after Scott arrived. That night Ben and Casey (#KOHBros) made the drive out just to come BS around the fire for a few hours. Thanks for the visit guys.

The next morning brought blue skies, and five new arrivals.​
DSCN0820.jpg

We BS'd for a bit, performed the morning wheeling chores, and then rolled out 10:00. University Firepower, Cedar Tree, and onto Firebreak 5. Lloyd cresting the first section.​
DSCN0823.jpg

Joe (rookies).​
DSCN0824.jpg

Z Sport.​
DSCN0827.jpg

Joe (Jbh97009) ending the white Jeep parade.​
DSCN0828.jpg

Dan.​
DSCN0832.jpg

Curtis brought out the Beast and played tail gunner making everything look easy.​
DSCN0836.jpg

Last edited:
We continued up to the second hill climb, which has matured into a challenging obstacle. We found Teresa up top with a small group in the middle of a recovery.
DSCN0839.jpg

Teresa was experiencing some winch issues, and the stuck YJ had broke it's rope.
DSCN0841.jpg

We gave them some assistance, and then started getting our group up the hill. First was Nick in his new to him TJ. "It just feels right." After flogging on it pretty good, he pulled cable.
DSCN0842.jpg

After slacking on getting my winch mounted, I was a little stressed about making it. After a lot of searching for the right line, I was able to power up it. The new setup was feeling really solid.

Joe cruising up.
DSCN0845.jpg

After we got our group up through the first section, we continued onto the second and third sections. We hit some traffic later on, and ended up abandoning the fourth section to save time. It was definitely a busy day in the forest.

We continued onto Saddle Up. Nick coming through the upper filter.
DSCN0852.jpg

Z Sport coming down the switchbacks. We couldn't have asked for better February weather.
DSCN0857.jpg

The group meandering down the trail.
DSCN0861.jpg

Nick pedal dancing through the bottom filter.
DSCN0863.jpg

Joe.
DSCN0867.jpg

Joe tagged a stump on Dog Leg, which in turn turned his draglink into a pretzel, and bent the inner bead of one of his wheels.
DSCN0870.jpg

Him and Lloyd made quick work swapping in the spare.
DSCN0871.jpg

DSCN0872.jpg

After the draglink was repaired we continued on around the ridge. Dan coming up Hogsback.
DSCN0876.jpg

Lloyd cruising right up as usual.
DSCN0879.jpg

DraglinkJoe.
DSCN0880.jpg

PaddlerNate and his wife found us on Firebreak 5 earlier in the day. Getting twisted up a bit.
DSCN0882.jpg

Z Sport getting it done.
DSCN0885.jpg

Scott directed Curtis up the high line, and as a result Curtis pulled his clutch linkage apart. Nice job, Scott. It was a cool line for Curtis' Beast.
DSCN0888.jpg

After repairs were made we ran down to the bottom of Rocky Uphill to run it up and out for one final trail that day. The climb out was a fun slow crawl with no issues. A great way to end the day.
DSCN0894.jpg

We got back to camp, said our farewells to the day trippers, and started stoking the fire for a kick back night. Joe and Dan decided to camp that night, Corey and Jenny (nightfoam) came out to visit for a few hours, and even Chad (ruger81) made the drive out to hang out for awhile. Definitely a fun night around the fire with some good people. This trip was a great way to kick off this year of wheeling.

Just wanted to say thanks for a great day wheeling, sorry to be the one holding up the show all because i wasnt looking were i was going. It turned out to not only be a drag link but the drivers side lower control arm mount on the axle was almost torn off. It is hanging on with about a half inch of weld. I guess i will have to finish my new front axle that has been sitting for a while. Hope to see you guys again in June at the trophy challenge.
Draglink Joe

Haha so Ryan's name has officially been changed to corey?

There's more to this story....

Kory, at least I know how to spell it now.

Back