• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parked for 3 years.

Doc Holliday

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally getting around to working on my XJ that has been parked for nearly 3 years. So far I am replacing the steering box, A/C, ignition, CPS, alternator, power cables, throttle body, belts and fluids. What else under the hood should I check after so long? Only problems before parking where the A/C and a slight stutter that the ignition or CPS should fix.

*Replace air filter.., could have micro-growth, and other fuzzy weird stuff in it. Check to insure that no critter has taken up residence inside air intake hose.
*Refreshen all grounds.
*Charge up battery.
*pull out all fuses, and spark wires, just a short bit, and reinsert them to be sure that you have 'fresh' connections too.
*I would be concerned about the gasoline. Maybe change out the gas filter, as I have seen some models where the interiors of the can are totally disintegrated. Add Sea Foam to tank of old gas, and add a couple of ounces of 2-stroke oil, and pour a couple of ounces of acetone into tank too.
*Would not hurt to squirt a teaspoon worth of motor oil into each cylinder, and turn over crank with a hand tool a couple of complete cycles before firing it off.
2 cents:lecture:

I'd put a fresh battery in unless you've left the old one on a maintainer of some sort.

definitely drain the gas, you don't want that junk in your cylinders. glycol in the coolant has probably broken down and needs replacing too

after that just check hoses and belts for wear, replace what is dry-rotted or damaged or plain doesn't work

Well,....I don't know about your XJ and the problems it had before it was parked. I left my XJ in Miami in 2007 and went home to the Caribbean. In 2011 I returned driving a rental car stopped alongside the XJ, pressed the remote start button then drive away again. The engine will run for 15 minutes before shutting down. Six months later I returned to the XJ, fill the tires with air, fuelled up and drove to North Florida about 350 miles with no problem what so ever. I did have a battery maintainer on the Optima battery. That was about 10,000 miles ago.

It is always good to do preventative maintenance as well fix any problems you have been aware of. My XJ was in a good state of repair.

All good suggestions, thanks. I never would have thought to reseat fuses.

One more suggestion...

If you live in a rusty area like I do, try pushing the brake pedal all the way to the floor. I decided to do that with mine since it's been parked for a few years, and a line burst. I'm glad I did that so that when I put it back on the road this summer, it won't happen while I'm driving. Granted, mine is an 87, so it's older. But, I brought it out from CA with NO rust, so it's been here about the same number of years that the age of your's is.

Back