• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel backspacing/offset for new +2" wheels?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I somewhat understand the differences between backspacing, and offset. Well, sort of... in theory. But, when it comes to actual application, I'm confused and lost. For so many years, I've run my XJ on narrow tires, on factory rims. I've decided to change to a different wheel and tire size altogether, though still considered slightly narrow by some, so backspacing might come in to play.

If I were to order a 17x8 rim for a LT255/75-17, what would I need for backspacing? I've got 6 inches of lift, so clearance won't be an issue, other than the inside of the tire at full lock until I re-adjust the limit bolts.

A second consideration is to just use "take-off" JK wheels, and use adapters. But not knowing backspacing at all, I can only make guesses on thickness of the adapters. I wouldn't think it would be much, but then again?

Back