• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suspension seats and harness questions

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about putting Race Trim seats in my MJ. I would also like to use a 4 or 5 point harness with thick shoulder pads.

Now the issue. I do not want a cage in my truck. The main reason for the seats is because my girlfriend has a really bad back and being bounced around kills her back. The MJ is not a huge wheeling monster. It is just a 4.5" lift with some 245/75R16 Rubicon take offs. I think a nice suspension seat and heavily padded belts would make wheeling bearable for her.

Can I run a harness bar behind the seats ,set to the proper height, mount the lap belts in the factory lower holes with the screw in eyelets and fab up a mount for the submarine belt without any major safety concerns?

The harnesses will not be used on the streets, only on the trail. The trails will never be much more than moderate trails.

You might try the race seats with factory seat belts.

You'd be amazed how well the bolsters will hold you in.

If I stay with stock belts do I unbolt the factory lower belt point and pull them through the side bolster or leave them on the outside of the seat?

Would have to see how they fit. I've seen it done twice, both times they were left outside the seat. Both held very well.

You might try the race seats with factory seat belts.

You'd be amazed how well the bolsters will hold you in.

this^^^^
stock seat belts and corbeau a4s in my mustang I don't move 90% of the time even with it off bad habbit.

also I wouldn't run harness that aren't mounted proper will do more damage to you then you would think if they aren't used propper

No experience on the street/trail i an XJ/MJ, but I have experience with 2 MJs set up with suspension seats and harnesses for racing. One car had the lap belts run through the slots and the other had them over the bolsters. Surprisingly(to me anyway) the belt through slot setup is more comfortable and easier to use(find the belt, etc) then the belt over the bolster setup.
I have suspension seats in my TJ with the factory belt outside the bolster, but the seat is a recliner, and the buckle bolts to the outside of the seat mount. It works pretty good, as the buckle side of the TJ belt is a flat piece of metal.

If using the factory belts in an XJ, I'd try run them through the slots unless the buckle side of the belt ends up below the bolster frame. If that's the case I'd run them outside. There isn't room for a buckle and your hip inside the seat.

Back