• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW drive shaft not concentric? video

abond1333

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, bear with me, i normorally dont post questions cause i can normally find my answer by searching. Here gos

2001 jeep xj 4.0 aw4 c8.25 6inch lift RRsye 33x10.5 tires pinion angle is perfect brand new made to fit driveshaft that has some runout to it. i get vibes under acceleration from 30mph and up it chills out around 55mph but is still there.to me it looks like the yoke at the transfer case is good. looks like the double cardon unit is good. its the tube right after the double cardon joint. it wobbles and further down the shaft as you get close to the diff not so much. what do you guys think? is this to much runout. .050 at the double cardon on the large tube, the transfer case yoke is around .005 the other end of the large tube is around .030. i will try and upload a video. well cant figure out how to upload video so while i work on that i will go ahead and post anyways. what to do? im sure i will get burned posting this in the wrong section or posting the same question that has been asked 1,000 times,i apologize in advance. and thanks in advance.

well i installed 1 of 3 front driveshafts i have lying around in the rear and same thing. it also has a bit of wobble so im guessing thats normal. i installed a new tranny mount also, so its good and tight. so on to something else. any ideas. Got new driveshaft, new tranny mount,pinion angle is 2degree below, new tires balanced, guess i will pull the rear tires and run it just to check. thanks

it could be balance of the shaft. you could try rotating the driveshaft in the yokes to see if the visible wobbling can be decreased. the driveshaft can be installed 4 different ways. i try to find the smoothest run and mark the shafts and yokes. the u-joints in the double cardan and pinion end should appear to "stay in place" with vehicle idling in drive, rear end on jack stands. the solid shaft that's exposed at the slip joint should appear to "stay in place" as it turns also. if the driveshaft is really out of balance you will feel it in your ear drums and hear your vehicle vibrating-- trim, doors, etc. on the highway, but it might be fine at lower speeds around town.

it could be balance of the shaft. you could try rotating the driveshaft in the yokes to see if the visible wobbling can be decreased. the driveshaft can be installed 4 different ways. i try to find the smoothest run and mark the shafts and yokes. the u-joints in the double cardan and pinion end should appear to "stay in place" with vehicle idling in drive, rear end on jack stands. the solid shaft that's exposed at the slip joint should appear to "stay in place" as it turns also. if the driveshaft is really out of balance you will feel it in your ear drums and hear your vehicle vibrating-- trim, doors, etc. on the highway, but it might be fine at lower speeds around town.

Yep,i did it idleing on jack stands. the u joints in the double cardon and pinion end do appear to stay in place as dos the solid shaft in the slip yoke. the large tube of the shaft nearest the double cardon joint is where you can see the wobble. but maybe it just needs balanced. its fine at low speed till about 30mph to 45 is the worst and then it smooths out a little around 55,i can feel a little vibe in the steering wheel, which all front end parts are new, and my glovebox door drives me insane cause of the vibration. i gonna pull the tires and drums of the rear while its up on stand and see if there is any difference. i did run it on the stand with no shaft also and no vibe. by the way all the trouble shooting ive been doing is without the front driveshaft in. thanks for the reply. man nice brand new custom shaft, you wouldnt think it needs balanced. thanks again. i will update when problem is solved. hoping its not in the rearend.

My custom shaft is back at the shop that made it. When I first put it in, it was smooth. Within a few thousand miles problems started. You aren't the only one.

well,like said with no tires no vibes so i rotated them. seems a little less though. the rims may be bent. they wobble. is it normal for a tire to wobble?;) kind of like if the axles were bent? and when i mean tire wobble if you look at the tire from straight on the side wall runs in and out? im gonna put a indicator on the rim and see what i get.

My custom shaft was replaced cuz it had .031 runout. And so far, altho I haven't driven or checked it with a dial indicator yet the replacement shaft looks to be out almost as bad.
if it is, I may have to return it and ask for my money back, and get a custom made one vice a rebuilt being sold as new like most companies do.

ok im getting about .035 run out on both rims and .050 on the smooth section of the tire sidewall. that dont seem like much for a rim and tire, they just looked like they was wobbling pretty good,maybe thats due to no load on them either. so at this point with no tires on no vibes so i can rule out the driveshaft. and after swaping tires around vibe seems less. so, either shitty tires or they need re balanced or need new rims or bent axles or need new rearend or new tail lights or another winch for the back. i love my jeeps!!! i love em like i love my job sometimes!!!

The axle shafts could be bent. I had 3/16" toe-in on my rear axle because of the axle shafts was bent at the flange. I had bought that axle used from the junkyard.

The axle shafts could be bent. I had 3/16" toe-in on my rear axle because of the axle shafts was bent at the flange. I had bought that axle used from the junkyard.

Thanks i will check the rear for toe. i was wondering about ways to check for bent axle without pulling them.

went for a drive after rotating tires and it is significantly better. it would only get a "deep rumble vibration" at high RPMs just before it would shift to the next gear. what could that be? thanks for all the replys.

Thanks i will check the rear for toe. i was wondering about ways to check for bent axle without pulling them.

went for a drive after rotating tires and it is significantly better. it would only get a "deep rumble vibration" at high RPMs just before it would shift to the next gear. what could that be? thanks for all the replys.

That is deffinately not drive shaft/axle related. That would be trans or engine related. As those are the only things that change rpm with the rumble. If im understanding you correctly.

That is deffinately not drive shaft/axle related. That would be trans or engine related. As those are the only things that change rpm with the rumble. If im understanding you correctly.

yep, i would agree with you. so i will have a look at the motor mounts. but also yesterday i had it up on stands with no shaft on the rear and ran it up to 60 with no vibe or rumble, but that is also with out a load on the drivetrain. so i can recap the events that have got me this far. up on jack stands vibe from 30mph and up, pulled wheels no vibes, rotated wheels front to back less vibes 30mph and up, BUT now notice a rumble vibe at the top of rpm before shifting,it seemed only at the top of 2nd to 3rd but cant say,i will have to take it for another drive to get really detailed as the wife and kids were with me on that ride around,so it was hard to really focus. so at this point since tire swapping really seemed to fix it, the next move is to take it in for another tire balance.
really appreciate all the help. hopfully someone else can get something out of this also.

Back