• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Setting pinion angles

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
So, if I understand correctly, this angle off my 8.8 is 17* up.

E0BF46A6-63DA-467C-A29D-949005226632_zpsytmpvxau.jpg

And this, the angle off my slip yoke eliminator yoke is 5* down.

3B21AD41-E61E-4A68-87CD-5312DEBBAE7C_zpsoqeoczyo.jpg

The two should be within 1* of each other, which means that my axle needs to be rotated down about 11-12*. Is that correct?

Since you have a SYE with a double cardan driveshaft, the pinion angle should be at, or 2 degrees lower than the driveshaft angle. Hang the angle meter on the driveshaft itself. The angle of the SYE yoke is more or less irrelevant unless you are worried about exceeding the angle of the double cardan joint itself. Its unlikely unless you have a ridiculous lift.

Last edited:
Tell me more. I'm at about 5.5".

Where on the drive shaft am I taking readings, and what reading am I looking for?

Also I currently have 6* of shim on the rear axle because once when I thought I was doing pinion angles correctly I calculated that I needed that. Now I'm not sure and am chasing driveline vibrations at highway speed.

Put the magnetic base of the angle meter directly on the bottom of the driveshaft, so the angle meter is facing down towards the ground. Right in the middle of the driveshaft is fine. Whatever that number is, you want your pinion to be the same, or 2 degrees lower. Some people like to allow 2 degrees for axle wrap and some say just make it exactly the same. And some say both at the same time. If you PM me a cell number I will text you some pictures.

Last edited:
Tell me more. I'm at about 5.5".

Where on the drive shaft am I taking readings, and what reading am I looking for?

Also I currently have 6* of shim on the rear axle because once when I thought I was doing pinion angles correctly I calculated that I needed that. Now I'm not sure and am chasing driveline vibrations at highway speed.

Like this. You want the 2 lines to be 2-4 degrees apart from each other.

pinion.jpg

If you never got any axle wrap, yes. But the pinion always turns up a few degrees when you're on it. The more flexy your leafs, the more wrap you get.

Thanks for all the response. I got mine measured correctly finally and I am 2* off so that is right in the tolerance level.

Thanks to md21722 for texting me a bunch of pictures.

Back