• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Rail shifters / 1-2 override

831_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know this topic has been covered a bunch but who here runs the RAdesigns or of the like rail shifter? Just purchase a 241or and would like to be able to start in 2nd gear at times.

Thanks

I have one. I have not used it in a long time. It throws a check engine light, but perhaps the biggest issue I have is that if you want to actually utilize the full capability, you must shift both the rail, and the floor shifter to get engine braking.

If you leave the trans in "D", and down shift the rail, you'll only get engine braking in 3, any lower and the valve body is not mechanically lined up to supply compression braking. So you have to shift the rail down, and the floor shifter.

If you want to just use if for gear selection, it works fantastic. Put the gear in "1-2", and you'll have full control of those gears with the rail. But then if you want to go up to 3, you have to shift both.

I think he has the Winters shifter now... which combines the two, so you'll have full mechanical 1-2-3-4 and the electrical portion.

Final disclaimer- If you use the shifter, the tcu goes into limp mode. When that cel goes on, I have tried to "turn off" the rail by using my switch, and the tcu will no longer respond. It'll accelerate from a stop in like, 4th gear. If you shut the engine off, and cycle the key back on, the tcu powers back on, allowing normal operation, with a cel.

It works great for choosing gears, but I'd love to see the winters kit.

Ok good info thanks bud. The cel I don't mind but going into limp mode kinda sucks. I tried finding Montana fabs last night but it's not on their site anymore. Might give them a call a bit later today

I have one. I have not used it in a long time. It throws a check engine light, but perhaps the biggest issue I have is that if you want to actually utilize the full capability, you must shift both the rail, and the floor shifter to get engine braking.

If you leave the trans in "D", and down shift the rail, you'll only get engine braking in 3, any lower and the valve body is not mechanically lined up to supply compression braking. So you have to shift the rail down, and the floor shifter.

If you want to just use if for gear selection, it works fantastic. Put the gear in "1-2", and you'll have full control of those gears with the rail. But then if you want to go up to 3, you have to shift both.

Final disclaimer- If you use the shifter, the tcu goes into limp mode. When that cel goes on, I have tried to "turn off" the rail by using my switch, and the tcu will no longer respond. It'll accelerate from a stop in like, 4th gear. If you shut the engine off, and cycle the key back on, the tcu powers back on, allowing normal operation, with a cel.

It works great for choosing gears, but I'd love to see the winters kit.

I rigged up my own system using a toggle switch for main able / disable function, a rotary switch for gear selection, a separate small switch next to the rotary switch for t/c lock up.
Note: The A4W is not valved to be able to lock the t/c in 1st gear.

The system works exactly as srmitchell has described above.

When I want to switch to manual mode I turn the key off, flip the main switch to select manual operation, restart and within a minute it throws a 700 series code / cel. To switch back to auto, turn key off, flip switch, restart and after a few engine start stop cycles and a few miles the cel turns off.

It will go into limp mode if the key is not cycled when going into or coming out of manual mode.

Between the use of the lever shifter, the knob and the t/c lock switch I can keep in any gear, any time.

perhaps the biggest issue I have is that if you want to actually utilize the full capability, you must shift both the rail, and the floor shifter to get engine braking.

That is exactly how I always used mine. just run it in 1-2 unless you need to to go faster.

I ran the Baja II and the Rail shifter. I always loved it. Mine was in a trail only rig so i just pulled out the tcm completely.

My only complaint was that the detents always seemed to come un-adjusted. No big deal though, just re-adjust them a few times a year.

His new setup that incorporates the Winters shifter looks sweet.

Thats what I figured. If you only want it for locking out 2nd gear I would think it makes a lot more sense to just install the toggles you need. I vaguely recall seeing a thread a while back about using toggles to lock out 1 and 2.

IIRC, Mark aka SidewaysStarion wired up the shifter and such for the giveaway heep, maybe his own also? I believe he made some stock-ish looking harness to prevent the issues that Sean has had.
Not sure about throwing codes in OBD-2, but for the 2nd gear switch, is just a matter of cut and splice, wire in a diode with a toggle switch. All this does is when the shifter is in the 1-2 position, it disengages the 1st gear solenoid and engages the 2nd gear solenoid. It is basically an override switch.

IIRC, Mark aka SidewaysStarion wired up the shifter and such for the giveaway heep, maybe his own also? I believe he made some stock-ish looking harness to prevent the issues that Sean has had.
Not sure about throwing codes in OBD-2, but for the 2nd gear switch, is just a matter of cut and splice, wire in a diode with a toggle switch. All this does is when the shifter is in the 1-2 position, it disengages the 1st gear solenoid and engages the 2nd gear solenoid. It is basically an override switch.

Those were my shifters that I donated for the giveaway XJ. I was hoping doing so would introduce some new people to my products???????
Yes the design of the trans does not allow compression braking in every gear without moving the floor shifter to the "range" you are using. For the trail I was usually in 1-2 so using 1st & 2nd gave me all the control I needed, going a little faster I used D which would give compression braking in 2nd & 3rd and still allow me to shift to first if needed. But then again this is why I did the Winters Switch Kit and run that now so I can have all the shifting in one unit and compression braking as I shift.
The CEL thing is bad for those who need vehicle inspections for sure, but as far as limp mode turning the key off and back on the TCM will function as normal. You cannot shift on the fly from manual mode to TCM control with any year because of this. Just a heads up there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of these in use and it's still my number one selling product since 2008 when I started building them.
A rotary switch will control the trans as well as normal On-Off switches. Switches were my first shift setup actually. If you search I know there are write ups on the 1st gear lock switch setup.

Those were my shifters that I donated for the giveaway XJ. I was hoping doing so would introduce some new people to my products???????
Yes the design of the trans does not allow compression braking in every gear without moving the floor shifter to the "range" you are using. For the trail I was usually in 1-2 so using 1st & 2nd gave me all the control I needed, going a little faster I used D which would give compression braking in 2nd & 3rd and still allow me to shift to first if needed. But then again this is why I did the Winters Switch Kit and run that now so I can have all the shifting in one unit and compression braking as I shift.
The CEL thing is bad for those who need vehicle inspections for sure, but as far as limp mode turning the key off and back on the TCM will function as normal. You cannot shift on the fly from manual mode to TCM control with any year because of this. Just a heads up there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of these in use and it's still my number one selling product since 2008 when I started building them.
A rotary switch will control the trans as well as normal On-Off switches. Switches were my first shift setup actually. If you search I know there are write ups on the 1st gear lock switch setup.

Hey Rory-

I hope you know that I love your product, and I am not bashing any of the work you have done. That being said, the aw4 drives me crazy because of the shifter setup. The rail can't solve all of this as you know.

I like the winters idea. Have you received any feedback, install pictures or reviews of the set up? I want to see it in a 97+ xj. I don't know how it would work in the console, and what would need to be done to make it work.

A real, 1-2-3-4 shifter in the xj would be gravy!

Hey Rory-

I hope you know that I love your product, and I am not bashing any of the work you have done. That being said, the aw4 drives me crazy because of the shifter setup. The rail can't solve all of this as you know.

I like the winters idea. Have you received any feedback, install pictures or reviews of the set up? I want to see it in a 97+ xj. I don't know how it would work in the console, and what would need to be done to make it work.

A real, 1-2-3-4 shifter in the xj would be gravy!

No problem, you are just letting people know the issues with controlling the AW4.
I haven't seen the Winters installed in a stock XJ, I know there are quite a few Jeepspeed guys running them. It is a slick setup for sure and I am working on a all in one unit to do the same thing but better. I am determined to get this done this year and have been working on it every week. I have videos of it on RADesigns Products Facebook page. Calling it the FR1 and it will be available for the AW4 trans as well as USA trans. like the THM350/400 and more. Hope to replace buying the Winters shifters with this new unit.

I have the Montana Fab knob controller and can't even tell you how useful it is. I'd really like to see them bring it back to market (I had no idea they discontinued it).

Back