• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM AW4 Question

stephenfarris

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a used aw4 trans from the junkyard for my 1999 XJ. They said that it had around 100,000 miles when pulled. The pan and tailshaft to transfer case adapter both have red silicon type gasket material on them. I know that the factory used silicon instead of a rubber gasket on the pan. Does anyone know what color the factory sealant was? I would like to know if this thing was ever pulled apart.

I just picked up a used aw4 trans from the junkyard for my 1999 XJ. They said that it had around 100,000 miles when pulled. The pan and tailshaft to transfer case adapter both have red silicon type gasket material on them. I know that the factory used silicon instead of a rubber gasket on the pan. Does anyone know what color the factory sealant was? I would like to know if this thing was ever pulled apart.

The factory sealant is/was red. A special sealant that cures in the absence of air (unlike RTV).

You can also check for a tag attached to one of the oil pan bolts. It seems like every rebuilt transmission I've seen has had a metal tag on one of the bolts indicating it was rebuilt, not a sure thing but easy to check for.

Back