• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shim pinion down?

mtbxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody else need to shim the rear pinion down after 2" long leaf aal? My angle finder shows I need to angle the pinion down 4*. My theory is it put more curve in the leaf pack so the shackle angle is closer to vertical, pointing the pinion up.
Any insight?
Btw: 89 np231 aw4 swapped from d35 to 8.25 so the driveshaft is plenty long.

If you installed an AAL into a stock leaf pack, the pinion angle should be unchanged. Did you torque all the suspension nuts/bolts with the tires on the ground ? By eyeball, which way does the pinion point in relation to the driveshaft ?

The pinion looks up, less angle at rear joint. I had a short aal for 2" never had problems, put in a 2.5'' long leaf from RE, that put it at just over 3" had driveline issues and needed a sye, (im just looking to run 31"s). So i got a long leaf bds 2" and it rides great but the angle is off. TCase is 1* and pinion is 5*. Everything is tight, re-torqued spring bolts with the jeep on flat ground/weighted.

Back