• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No airflow after heater core/evap'r replacement

av8or2k

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ Classic, completely stock.

This past weekend I replaced the heater core, blower motor and the evaporator and got the dash all back together nicely. I can hear the blower running great but I am not getting the airflow I would expect from the vents. I think the vent selector is working b/c when I switch from defrost to the vents or floor, I can feel the (little amount of) air move from one area to the next. Is there a door or flap that I may have inadvertently closed off? Am I going to have to take this thing completely apart again or is this (hopefully) something I can access thru the glove box area?? Hopefully this isn't the selector/flap that separates the heater core from the evaporator that inside the box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Doesn't that plug only go in one way?? Dang, that would suck to have to pull it all apart just for that. Unless its accessible from the engine bay

engine bay accessible.

98.. those have a direct plug-in.. yes? probably not the issue then

did you have to swap the squirrel cage?

The fan "blades"? Is that what you mean by squirrel cage? The unit I bought had it already attached. I dropped new motor and blades right in. No swapping.

yes.. it's called a squirrel cage.

check direction on those.. seen the wrong rotation on those before.

I've seen the wrong rotation as well. And, can you hear the "fan" running for sure? There are several aftermarket units that set the fan too deep in the box, causing it to hit/rub. I had to space mine back out using a few washers to keep it from rubbing (enough to stop it).

Can I check the rotation w/o removing the whole dash and HVAC box? I should be able to remove the blow motor from the engine bay, correct? How do I fix the rotation if it is wrong? Try reversing the plug/polarity? The plug is square and the prongs inside appear it could go either way. Maybe this is as simple as rotating the plug 180*. Hopefully.

The unit I had in there before was definitely rubbing, that way when I bought the Jeep. But the new one I can hear moving freely. The old one I could see where the squirrel cage was rubbing and finally, I'm guessing, burnt up the motor. The old one and the new one are the same brand apparently.

BTW thank you for everyone that replied. I really, really appreciate the help.

It was the polarity. I guess the plug can go either way. Thanks for the help, it saved me from tearing down the dash again!!

Back