• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best reman engines

radioflyer

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys...

I have a 2000, 4x4, 4.0 cherokee. Chrysler rear axle, aw4, np231

I managed to buy my jeep in seemingly great condition. Turns out the dealer who will not be named loaded my engine with stopleak. 8 months later, my engine needs a rebuild. But for the money, I figured I would get a reman with a warranty.

Well I don't plan on doing the work myself, I want a good reman but don't know entirely where to start. My jeep is a dd with a 75/25 on/offroad use. I've checked out ATK, Jasper (local), and a few others. Everybody seems to have their opinion but I want to know some of the hard facts about the remans.

I'll be honest, I've done basic replacements and maintenance, but don't know a whole lot other than the basics about the mechanics of an engine.

Anyway, any and all info is appreciated guys.

Last edited:
I think you would be best off calling Russ Potenger to have him build you a stock motor.

Everybody seems to have their opinion but I want to know some of the hard facts about the remans.

I think getting hard facts on this sort of subject is going to be rather impossible. You are going to get people that swear engines from one source are reliable while others will have horror stories. Some people will tell you to find a local engine shop and have them rebuild/build you something and others will chime in saying they have had poor results from that.

If it were me I would try to talk with people and get first hand experiences with possible sources for your engine be it rebuild or whatever. If 20 people I speak with recommend one place I will feel more comfortable but even then those are not hard facts. I would also in this case use a credit card, the CC company will help you honor any warranty or help doing a charge back if the shop decides to take ten times as long as they promised to get your engine done.

/my opinions

Back