• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leak Help 2000 XJ

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

Got a coolant leak mystery that I need some help solving. I started smelling a little coolant a few weeks ago, but could not see anything in the engine bay. A week later I checked again and noticed only the splash shield had some coolant on it and my first thought was the water pump was starting to go or a hose was leaking. I had a pressure test done and all came back normal and no leaks could be found. The pump was dry as well as the hoses. I decided to clean the engine bay off and it stayed dry for a few days with not coolant visible. The smell returned and I took a look and found coolant once again in the center splash shield, but this time also on the frame rails and in the lower pass side of the radiator. I have attached a pic below of what I am currently seeing, but I really can't tell where it is coming from. I plan to clean it off again and take the skid down. The run the engine and see if I can trace the leak, but just trying to get a general idea of what is going on. I feel that the coolant is splashing around with the fan running causing it to be in different areas.

Any help or ideas would be great.

2000 XJ 4.0L I6 153,000 miles

Radiator cap hose, or a small and slow leak from the radiator....that's what it was in my 2000 XJ also..

Back