• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picked up an 01 XJ. Need some help figuring a few things out.

Badmunky

NAXJA Forum User
So in November I bought a nice clean 2001 XJ.

It has had a lot done to it already. Some good. Some bad. Some things just not my style. But its solid, and runs and drives great!

Ill start of with a list of whats been done to it. Then I will get in to what I need to do to it. In the order I plan to tackle things.

Here are a few pics for you guys.

20141216_112106.jpg

20141214_134917.jpg

20141214_134857.jpg

Yes that lift block/ spring mount is welded to the axle. :eek: No it will not be staying like this!
20141130_145559.jpg

20141214_134801.jpg

So here is what has been done to it so fare.

Custom long arm kit. Looks to be well built and solid. I'll post some pics later.
Custom front bumper. Vary beefy! Not my style tho. It will be replaced.
Custom rear bumper. Again beefy! But not my style. Will be replaced as well.
Custom roof mount spare tire mount with high lift jack. Again not my style, will be removed.
Longer brake lines front and rear.
3" lift springs and shocks up front from Skyjacker.
3" add a leaf in the rear also from Skyjacker.
New rear shocks and axle mounts. No idea what they are.
Chevy Corporate 12-bolt out back. (Narrowed with custom mounts.)
Chevy D44 converted to drivers side drop up front. (Narrowed with custom mounts.)
Axles are from a 77 3/4 ton Chevy. PO got them for free.
PO "Claims" it has 4:11 gears, and that the axles where rebuilt with all new seals and bearings 8K miles ago. I say "Claims" because based on 4:11 gears and the tires that are on it it should be just as fast as it was stock, and the speedometer should be almost dead on.
Its slow, and the speedometer is off. Reads 62-63mph when your going 55mph. I think they changed the speedometer gear in the T-case, and used the wrong one at that.
It has almost new 16 wheels and 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wranglers on it. They have about 1,700 miles on them.
The Jeep has had an epoxy coating put on the floors and lower doors.
Optima red top that I think is about done.
And the PO just replaced 2 of the O2 sensors before I bought it.

Ok so the first problem I have to fix is the steering box, lines, and pump.
The box has play in it. And is leaking from the output seal a little.
The return line has a leak where it is crimped.
And the pump has 144k on it, and it hums a bit. So I'm going to replace it when I replace the rest of the system. Just kind of make sense to me.

For the box I am going to use one from a 2001 S10 4x4 V6. This is basically the Durango box upgrade, but the S10 box uses brass bushings in place of the Durangos plastic bushings. It also has a better ratio for off road, and is rated for higher pressure then the Durango box.

For the lines I am going to modify the stock lines from a WJ.

For the pump I am going to us the pump from an 01 Grand Cherokee 4.7.
Its a bolt in for me seeing as I have the newer style pump mount. It flows more fluid at higher pressure then the stock pump. Should make turning big tires a little easier.

If you guys see any thing wrong with this setup please let me know.

My next project is the exhaust system.

I have none of this planed out at this time.
I know what I need to replace, and what I want. But am not sure how to get there just yet, and what parts to use.

So here is what I need to replace.
EVERY THING. Block to bumper. Its all shot.
Here is what I want.
As much power improvement as I can get, without spending every dime I have. And something that will sound good, but not to loud. (It needs to last 2 years or so and still look nice so I can sell it when I swap in a GM LS V8.)

My Jeep as the 2 pre cats. And the main cat. Also known as the California emissions system.
I want to convert it to the federal emissions system that dose not have the 2 pre cats, but I don't want to end up with check engine lights (CEL) ether.

This thing is not used on the street much if at all. I don't have emissions testing here. And if I put 1,000 miles a year on it Ill be shocked!

So I'm good with removing most of the emissions system. I will still run the main cat. Tho I will replace it with a new high flow one.

My next project will be the suspension.

Starting with the rear. I plan to cut those lift blocks off, and install new mounts, springs, shackles, shocks, shackle relocation brackets, and a U-bolt elimination kit. Ditch the sway bar. And replace the bump stops.

The front has the same problem in that the PO raised all the mounts about 3.5" when he installed the new axles. So I will need to redo all those mounts as well. I will replace the springs, shocks, and add sway bar disconnects as well. New bump stops, and a new adjustable track bar will finish the front off. Currently it still has the stock track bar, tho the mount has been moved up 4.5"s, and to the left a little to re center the axle. NOT the best way to do it.

There is a lot more I plan to do but that is what needs to be done this year for sure.

So what do you guys think about the Exhaust system and steering system?
They are top of my list right now as I can not really drive the Jeep until there fixed.

The suspension will need to be addressed before I take it off road as well. But that I have mostly figured out.

Thanks guys!!!!!

I can't suggest on to much on the exhaust other than being an 01 there is no version that didn't have the pre cats, and it will most certainly result in a emissions light if you remove them. Now that being said you might replace the ECM with a 2000 Fed version, and be good to go. The S10 box seems to be a new mod over the Durango box, and I really don't know anything about it (I'll be following along on this part of your work to do.) As far as the lines between the WJ pump and the Box you'll really only need to worry about the high pressure side, and I'd think your local hydraulic line builder could fab you up something pretty easily if you can't source something. The low pressure side can easily be handles with hose clamps on the proper fittings for each component. On the lift blocks aside from axle wrap are fine. The biggest issues with blocks are the fact they can allow wrap, and they can spit out. Being that they're welded in the spitting out issue is covered. Really unless you're having wrap issues I wouldn't worry about them to much.

After further research it would appear that you are right about the pre cats.
Late 99s, and 2000s had the option to not have them. But all 2001s have them.

So it looks like I have not go option to remove them and not have a CEL.

So my plan has changed a bit.

I am going to get a header and 2 new pre cats. And then build the rest of the system my self.

As for the steering lines I have no one that can make them where I live. So I must buy pre made lines.

For the lift blocks, I have axle wrap. A lot more then I am comfortable with. The stock springs are getting weak, and just can not take the load.
It also dose not flex well at all the way it is. And there is more travel then stock.

The front has a little more travel then stock, but not much.

It rides and drives nice. But is not vary good off road like it is.

That is the only front bumper I've ever seen done right! The stock fender flares need something to die into. I'm interested in it when you take it off. What does the writing on the bull bar say?

LOL.
Yes it dose.

It's vary well built. Just no place for a winch. So I'm going to get a new one in a few months.

I will let you know when it's off. But I have about 15 guys that want it right now. So I make no promises. Highest offer gets the bumper. Lights go with it.

The roof mount for the spare also has Hammer Head on it.
It is also going up for sale along with the rear bumper.

Wheels and tires will also be sold. But the Chevy 6 lug so most people on here will not be able to use them.

Any way back to my problems. LOL.

Back