• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stretching the rear

spyker

NAXJA Forum User
So i have been looking around and I haven't found a good answer to my many questions, only one case confirmed my idea which is not enough to start spending money,so i figured i would ask here.

jeep info; 99' 4dr xj 5 spd 3" lift

I want to stretch the rear anywhere from 1"-2" and not exceed 4"-4.5" of lift.

I found one guy who achieved around this by using a s10 main leaf. I am open to using any leaf spring that will meet my goal.

Currently I have extended boomerang shackles, ironman4x4 shackle relocation kit, and a variety of add a leafs laying around. with the relocation kit and shackles i don't think the longer leaf length of the s10 is going to be any issue.

my concerns are 4wd vs 2wd s10 leafs(if they are even different) and getting too much lift(because s10 is SUA). also i would need a longer driveshaft, i have a 5 spd so is the an auto one longer or shorter, should i find an mj shaft, cheap alternatives? Lastly should i be concerned of axle wrap with the little stretching i want to do?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you're concerned with trying to maintain a stock driveshaft you can re-use, you may be looking at the wrong project.

You're going to have to tweak with your shock mounts (one will get longer, one will get shorter), fix pinion angles, etc after moving the axle back.

We did it with Bronco leaf springs. Moved the axle back 2.5".

If you're concerned with trying to maintain a stock driveshaft you can re-use, you may be looking at the wrong project.

You're going to have to tweak with your shock mounts (one will get longer, one will get shorter), fix pinion angles, etc after moving the axle back.

We did it with Bronco leaf springs. Moved the axle back 2.5".

just trying to be cheap is all concerning the driveshafts

I believe a matching S-10 driveshaft works, at least for slip yoke. SYE shaft would need to be custom.
Another option. Some ruffstuff spring plates that have multiple holes for axle placement. But, as Cal said shock placement will need to be addressed as well.

just trying to be cheap is all concerning the driveshafts

its the wrong place to be cheap, especially when you're trying to stretch. when you go to a longer leaf pack, you generally get more forward/back swing from the axle and crappy stock driveshafts don't have enough travel.

TNT also makes these. There seems to be up and down reviews for TNT on here, but what I received were super STOUT and complete axle perch kit that gives you the option to run stock axle location or push back up to 1.5". Granted, a new driveshaft is probably required.

I have them on my D44 and my wheelbase is pushed out to about 104". Not sure if they are worth the money for you, if you already have perches on your axle, but mine was bare and I needed perches anyway.

I've stretched mine 2" by drilling new centering holes in my u bolt eliminators (home brew). I had to drill new holes in my degree shims as well, but overall pretty straight forward. Obviously a bunch of sheet metal work is required as well if you plan on having any up travel.

An anti-wrap bar isn't exactly required per se, but always a good idea. Moving the axle back allows the axle to wrap even more. I'm currently working on mine at the moment.

Back