• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with my rear axle?

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
The scenario:
D30/35 AX15, 3.07 R&P
I've been wheeling for 3 years with almost stock XJ, just 31x10.5 MT tires.
All the time mud and sand, no rocks.
This year I installed a 5.5 lift kit and 32x11.5 MT tires and a locker in the D30.

The facts:
the tires have less than 6 months. Unless someone give me 33 or 35 for free, I will not swap to bigger tires in the future.
The engine runs good, but there's a diference between the 235 originals and the current ones. Regear is in my plans.
My mileage is 12MPG - 19MPG. Not a big concern, is my DD but I drive few km per week.
I have read a lot since I bought the rig, about how weak is a D35 and never wanted to spend money on it. I even bought the diff cover and swap kit from Ruffstuff for an 8.8.

The problem:
An 8.8 axle is almost impossible to get in YJ. The price is asked for one rebuilt is $2.5k (I don't live in USA).
I tried to configure one from ECGS and the price put here is also expensive (have to pay 75% of taxes to custom).

The question:
a D35 with chrome shaft axles is able to handle 4.56 with 32 tires or I keep the current configuration and save that money for an 8.8 axle?

Are any of the other XJ axles available locally? chrysler 8.25, dana 44?

There are not lot of XJ around here. Most are running and has D35. I just saw once with a C8.25 and is in a 'poser' rig.

The dana 44 are from pickups made in Brazil. Require change of all bearings, R&P and None of them are less than 1K.

Some folks do successfully run the "super 35 kit" which consists of the chromoly axle shafts you are talking about.

Being that 8.8s are plentiful here, and go for around $250, its a much better cantidate.
I have no idea how much shipping to your location would be, but hopefully the customs tax due would be much lower, due to the value being lower?

Chromoly axles for a USA resident are about 400 dollars (US). I would assume shipping to Uruguay would be a substantial additional amount. Seems to me you could get a better axle for the same money than a D35, even if it must be shipped a long way. Next time you cross over into Argentina on your way to the Andes you might feel a lot better about having a dependable axle on your jeep that will hold up in the mountains.

what about a toyota rear?

I think pretty much all the less than full size Yota's use basically the same 8" rear. I would guess the hilux is what you have there? Maybe 4 runner. Yes, you would need to remove existing perches and weld on new ones. But, guessing that they are easier to come by than XJ stuff.

I think pretty much all the less than full size Yota's use basically the same 8" rear. I would guess the hilux is what you have there? Maybe 4 runner. Yes, you would need to remove existing perches and weld on new ones. But, guessing that they are easier to come by than XJ stuff.

my thought exactly... plus they tend to come in numerically higher ratios due to the 4cyl engines.

To build on this point, you may be able to also look at Prados, Land cruiser 70-100 series, and FJs for a good candidate. Like mentioned, you need to fabricate mounts to make it fit, but parts will be easier to get and the only thing you need to "adapt" is u-joint, brakes, and wheel pattern. Another benefit the I like is that those axles have a 3rd member, so it's easier to pull out and re-gear on a bench.

Prados, and Cruiser are pretty expensive and are fewer than Jeep or Fords.
Hilux are a lot, many came from Argentina. Gonna take a look and see what can i find.

The axle is in good shape, AFAIK. I will keep it as it (without locker and 3.07) while find a substitute. I guess I will follow de 8.8 path and go buying by parts (RKHSupply has a promo of R&P and bearings for 400).

Back