• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CS-144 Alternators for a Renix

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking for a CS-144 140+ amp (preferably more) alternator with matching mount locations and plug for the Renix. I've found one donor car list here but the mount points look opposite instead of off set like the stock CS-130.

I believe 95 Caddy deville alt is 140ish and is plug n pray, other than upgrading wiring.

Google comes up with the opposite end mounts for the caddy.

Yeah

Disclaimer I don't know anything about RENIX stuff

Per the ACDelco stats on rockauto, RENIX used CS121 for the 60-amp housing and CS130 for the 100-amp housing, with both of them having an 11:00 clocking. I think you're going to have trouble with that unless you can find somebody with a picture book (maybe the local NAPA or mom and pop)

Random image searching, see if any of the local parts houses have an '02 Cadillac Escalade rebuild on their shelves and see if your bracket fits. That will give a shell type to match against.

Yeah i thought about that upgrade and talked to the guy. I want to avoid the overheating issues. Ive seen mention of 144s being direct fit in many threads but never a source.

I just looked at a picture of one and they(renix alts) do not appear to have the standard GM pattern J180 mount(not all J180 mounts are the same). I could be wrong on that.

As far as the 144 being a drop in, I would check your existing alternator to see how many pins the plug in connector has. If the number of pins are the same(as whichever 144 you're looking at), then next thing to check is finding out if the pins are the same for function. I'm pretty sure that some vehicles that used the 4 pin regulators had slightly different pinouts. Swapping out the regulator, making an adapter harness, or modifying your existing plug would all be ways to get around that.

Based on what I see on the Delco Remy site, apparently the Jeep CS130 has no other applications. http://catalog.remyinc.com/Product/...&model=Cherokee&engine=4.0+Liter+L6+-+242+CID

There are a bunch of different frame styles listed for the CS130, so I'd guess it's similar for the 144 since as far as I know there isn't much difference. You could swap D.E. and S.R.E. frames to make the 144 fit if necessary. Personally, I'd try to swap in one of the larger AD series. They're usually drop in replacements for CS. Also, buy only CS or AD series. The DR series will fit and function identically, but are more expensive to service due to minor differences in how they are assembled.

If you have a good local builder, I believe the 90/100A Renix can be rewound upwards of 140A
But if you can DIY that kit looks good.

Yeah I called the company Cal linked. The guy said CS130's have issues with heat. So I'm hoping to get a CS-144. I've read quite a bit of pages that mention CS-144's can come with the same offset mounts as our 130 just thicker so it could be trimmed to fit. 99 escalade looks like it might be one I'll drop by the parts store and check.

As far as I know, the only difference between a CS130 and a CS144 are the stator and rotor size. The case size isn't any larger, so if the 130 has heat issues, the 144 will be worse. With the the CS series alternators(and probably the larger cased AD series) the number refers to the diameter of the rotor, so the CS130 has a 130mm rotor and the CS144 has a 144mm rotor.

No. We really don't need that kind of power. We don't usually winch a lot, don't do long night races, and have a lot of battery reserves (2 red tops).

I snagged a case (6) new old stock AC Delco 100a alternators a few years ago and have been using those. I'd love to wire the car up for duals just for redundancy, but 100 amps is way more than we need.

Lemme go look.......... As far as particular applications, it would be a ton of work since you'd have to go through all of the engine options and trim options.

I'm finding five different drive end frames and seven different slip ring end frames for the 144. Three of the D.E. frames appear to be identical other than the size of the mounting holes, and they appear to be the standard GM pattern J-180 mount, which I don't think will fit the Jeep. Of the other two, one looks very similar to the CS-130 jeep application. Application data says it was used on '96-'00 Cadillac, GMC, and Chevrolet.

Edit: just did a little more looking. All of the voltage regulators I have found so far for the CS144 have square plugs. Some of the CS130 regulators use a very similar plug, but the ends are round instead of square. I have not checked pinouts, though all but one of those regulators is also used on the 130. That said, many regulators are called out only for the 130 and at present I don't know enough to say if they are also compatible with the 144. Seems like they should be, but....no way to tell without having bolt alts in hand and all the regulators to try as well. Unfortunately, that would cost a few hundred bucks to find out.

Last edited:
That guy has quite a few alternator repair videos on youtube and good reviews from what I've found. Call him up and see what he says.
I mentioned calling him above, he says the cs130 has heat issues.
144 doesn't and has higher output at idle.

Back