• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toys...... Literally.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Perhaps these could be considered "builds"? :D

Anyone else into collectible toys?

I've been collecting pressed steel toys for a long time. Mostly Nylint, Buddy L, Structo, Tonka, Wyandotte and Hubley.

Then saw some guy in Hawaii was blending new and old by taking apart Muscle Machines cars - the ones with exaggerated engines, tires and wheels and putting those parts on the old steel toys. Decided to make a few of my own.....

This one is a Nylint Hot Rod with cool rat rod patina. I added Buddy L tires and wheels and a blower from a Muscle Machines car. Thinking about taking the blower off and getting some chrome buttons from Hobby Lobby and simulate a tri-carb set up..... Soon to get side pipes.

IMG_20150210_104338583_zps9jbffwhi.jpg

IMG_20150210_104409002_zps2tnsj1l2.jpg

This one got the full treatment. Butchered an entire Muscle Machines roadster. Still needs side pipes.

IMG_20150210_104608845_zpsemguppqz.jpg

IMG_20150210_104638388_zpss3j6cryx.jpg

This one is a simple tire & wheel swap. Soon to get 4-link rods for the front and lake pipes.

IMG_20150210_104709260_zps14n8swgn.jpg

IMG_20150210_104733638_zpsara9bqal.jpg

These are still kinda in process - I have side pipes, lake pipes and some other bits to affix to them.

Picked up this amazing Commander with boat and trailer recently:

IMG_20150206_164718503_zpsc4di4nng.jpg

And I've probably got 50 or more other "tin" cars, trucks, etc........ :looney:

Last edited:
Dammit Tom............ I had forgotten all about those scale XJ's...... until now! :banghead:

:D

Yeah, I may have to add one of those to the collection one of these days..... :laugh:

Edit.... Ebay had a vendor offering these for $112 shipped. Thats the cheapest I've ever seen 'em...... so one of these days was..... today. :shhh:

Last edited:
Don't you have REAL things out in the driveway/garage to work on instead :laugh:

Indeed I do...... but lately my body hadn't been cooperating..... Omental Infarction in my large intestine, massive kidney stone and uretheral stent implant, bulging C-5 disc..... All the down time I've had last year spent healing kept me from turning wrenches. Had to find something to keep my hands and brain from sitting idle.

I understand your pain. I tore my MCL in my left knee lifting an AW4 out of Flores's girlfriends car and at the same time tore a ligament in my middle finger. Things you used to do without thinking are not as easy as they used to be.

I really need to swap a tranny in my XJ but will most likely have to barter some BBQ and Beer for some driveway wrenching help.

Hell I am paying the muffler shop to mount a bung in the header for an AFR.

Kinda off topic but has anyone here ever bought anything from that aliexpress website, I see cool stuff on there all the time but for some reason just always assumed it was kinda sketchy.

Indeed I do...... but lately my body hadn't been cooperating..... Omental Infarction in my large intestine, massive kidney stone and uretheral stent implant, bulging C-5 disc..... All the down time I've had last year spent healing kept me from turning wrenches. Had to find something to keep my hands and brain from sitting idle.

Fair enough :D

Kinda off topic but has anyone here ever bought anything from that aliexpress website, I see cool stuff on there all the time but for some reason just always assumed it was kinda sketchy.

I've known a few...but it is very buy at your own risk.

Whatever you buy, you better hope it's good to go since even using things like PayPal, you'd have to pay for the shipping back (which sometimes is actually more than the item itself).

So...essentially it can be a gamble.

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Cleanest xj I've ever bought!!! :)
temporary_zps7307f49c.jpg

I am hopefully going to use this 1:24 blazer for parts to lift and make the 1:18 cherokee look like my jeep.
temporary_zpsef7ed9b3.jpg

Also building a 1:24 matching version of my truck. And a crazy truck hauler.
temporary_zps8864fb63.jpg

I had only posted it a day earlier....... :thumbup:

I buy all types of stuff all the time and never have had a problem. Remember the delivery can run upwards of a month on some items, but you can't beat the prices. Heck, its the same stuff you buy over here, but you cut out the middle man.

If it isn't as described, it is free. I had one issue with an ad that was misleading due to Chinese trying to write an English ad. They immediately credited my card back and I got to keep the item.

Little update on the mini jeep.
Mock up
temporary_zps42d7262a.jpg

temporary_zpsc9e0c54b.jpg

Getting rear leaf springs made.
temporary_zps19a49d68.jpg

Made a front bumper from scratch and got the body painted.
temporary_zps8427f23e.jpg

Oops.... Lol. Just kidding. They are models.
temporary_zps24416d7f.jpg

Dammit Cody........ now I'm not gonna be able to leave mine alone.......

That bumper turned out KILLER....... you got skillz brutha. Makes me sick...... :D

Are the leaf packs just heated and bent plastic sheet of some sort?

I imagine a cowl hood is on the agenda too...... gonna be amazing.

You need to put one of those emergency light LED kits in that CSPD car.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYgkdw3CoWM

Edit: LOL........ was so distracted by the detail of the XJ, I didn't initially see that you have a scale diorama of a work shop that it's being built in. Awesome!

Last edited:
Dammit Cody........ now I'm not gonna be able to leave mine alone.......

That bumper turned out KILLER....... you got skillz brutha. Makes me sick...... :D

Are the leaf packs just heated and bent plastic sheet of some sort?

I imagine a cowl hood is on the agenda too...... gonna be amazing.

You need to put one of those emergency light LED kits in that CSPD car.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYgkdw3CoWM

Edit: LOL........ was so distracted by the detail of the XJ, I didn't initially see that you have a scale diorama of a work shop that it's being built in. Awesome!

thanks. :)
the leaf springs are made out of styrene. They were kind of a pain in the ass. Lol.
Bent them and glued them one by one to keep the shape.

Cowl hood is on the agenda. It will be an almost exact replica of my jeep.

The cop car might get lights. Might not. Lol. I'm scared to try and install lights.

Snatched up another pristine Tonka combo.....

Jeep Gladiator camper and Corvette on a trailer. :thumbup:

IMG_20150305_144436717_zpsebfwt9f4.jpg

And I got my mini-XJ the other day.

Was bummed because it arrived missing an off-road light lens, the rack was barely glued down (loose, about to come off) and the grill guard appears to have been glued where one of the light guards broke leaving a white glue residue. Company won't exchange. They're giving me 15% discount and mailing me a replacement light lens. :rolleyes: Beyond that..... it's pretty cool!

IMG_20150305_155351540_zpshxozldtb.jpg

Last edited:
I got back into building plastic model cars a couple of months ago. Here's a few that I've finished - all 1:24 or 1:25 scale.

'66 Nova Pro-Street:
Not too thrilled with the results of this one.

'68 Z28:

'69 Dodge Super Bee W/Viper V-10 power:

Ferrari F-50

Current project is a '70 Dodge Challenger Pro-Street powered by a Blown, Hillborn injected 426 Hemi. I'll post pics when I get done with it.

I admire your attention to detail Jeff. I don't have the patience.

Back