• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail and interior lights stay on when door is shut?

TheBlarginator

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, newb here to the forums but when I shut my door, my interior lights dim but stay on, and my tail light dimly comes on. Inside, when the doors shut, when i hit the brakes the interior lights shut off then come back on when i release the pedal. Could this be a fuse issue? Or more likely would it be a ground and or short?

What year of XJ?

It does sound like a poor ground, but start with the basics.

Start with the fuses by pulling them all one by one to check them with a flashlight.

Then check for a melted, burnt, or otherwise damaged light switch/connector. Unfortunately this requires a bit of dash disassembly.

There are some other items such as the brake light switch and ignition interlock solenoid that could be messing up the ground path, but those are less likely.

Start with the most common, and most likely suspects, the driver door wire harness and the tailgate wire harness. The symptoms you describe suggest a short circuit to ground. Inspect and test for short circuits, open circuits, and broken wires at or nearby the hinges, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices.

Only thing I can see they have in common is the headlight switch

Do the front parking lights come on?

Interior lights are constant power with switched ground (doors and headlamp knob). Exterior lights are constant ground with switched power (headlamp knob). Maybe something bleeding through in the knob.

Back