• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Map Sensor Adjuster/Enhancer

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Excuse me for asking, but what is the purpose of this? From the ebay add, it looks like it has terrible idea/engine damage written all over it. Not questioning your knowledge, just trying to understand why someone would want to limit the MAF sensor voltage.

On xjs it's used for the map sensor. Adjusting voltage will change how rich it runs. Increase voltage is richer, decrease is leaner. Mainly for modded engines like strokers.

On xjs it's used for the map sensor. Adjusting voltage will change how rich it runs. Increase voltage is richer, decrease is leaner. Mainly for modded engines like strokers.

Somewhat correct, but depends on the year. Later models will always calibrate mixture based on the O2 sensors. The map sensor is an indicator of load which feeds the selection of open loop versus closed loop. It's not really dial-a-mixture.

(Waiting for cal or tayln to tell me I'm wrong as it happens often)

Yea mines obd1, never did read into the difference between the adjuster on obd1 and 2.

Jeff at stroked jeep isn't making anymore adjusters in the near future he said.

Somewhat correct, but depends on the year. Later models will always calibrate mixture based on the O2 sensors.
Not 100% true. The later PCMs will try to stay in closed loop longer, but they do still rely on the MAP sensor. It can be said that it is true if you are speaking in terms of the stored fuel trims to provide calibration. A MAP adjuster, however, will do 100% of nothing for air fuel ratio in closed loop operation.
The map sensor is an indicator of load which feeds the selection of open loop versus closed loop. It's not really dial-a-mixture.
While the MAP does contribute to open/closed loop switch it and does play heavily in ignition timing and open loop fuel mix. I did run an Apexi SAFCII successfully for years which is basically a MAP adjuster with a bunch more points to change.
(Waiting for cal or tayln to tell me I'm wrong as it happens often)
Gah.. didn't see his until I was replying

As for the use for the MAP adjuster unless you have a wide band O2 sensor setup you will have no idea what your changes are doing in open loop.

Gah.. didn't see his until I was replying

Doesn't bother me. The older I get the more I realize I learn 3 times as much being wrong than being right all the time.

As for the use for the MAP adjuster unless you have a wide band O2 sensor setup you will have no idea what your changes are doing in open loop.

Yeah, I forgot about this. Having an AFR gauge is critical.

Back