• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach not working after cluster swap

89XJ2543

NAXJA Forum User
So I decided to swap my gauge cluster in my Base model XJ(idiot light cluster) after finding one from an 89 Limited model(all gauges) in the JY. I just got my LEDs today and swapped them in and put the whole cluster in the jeep and was testing everything before screwing it back in but the new tach isn't working.

I still need to swap the oil and temp senders, will do in a few minutes, but is there anything I need to do to get the tach working? Do the new senders have anything to do with this?

The Tach is a module, all you need to make it work is power in (bundled with other gauges, gauges fuse) and the trigger wire. The trigger wire is the green wire coming from the ignition module.

I'm not really sure if the last section of trigger wire is in there or not. It should be a green (and white maybe) going to pin 12.

There is a splice and then a couple of small connectors before that wire gets to the cluster. I'm really not sure if that last section of wire is in there or not.

I pulled a gauge cluster *minus tach* out of my 89 and slapped in a full gauge *with tach* cluster. Plug and play. Don't know if this helps.

I was under the impression ALL Renix era XJ's have the wiring all in place and ready to go.

Back