• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission mount costs and build quality

DaKing

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an 87 Comanche. I rebuilt it using the drive-train of a 91 XJ.

I recently did a lift on a 2000 XJ.

During the install of the lift, we discovered the transmission mount on the 2000 XJ was basically gone. As in, hardly any rubber, metal on metal. So went to get a replacement. Autozone wanted over a $100 for the transmission mount. The owner of the 2000 XJ did NOT want to spend that. So, we pulled the new one off my MJ, and put it on the 2000 XJ. Cause the XJ had to be finished over the weekend, and my MJ is a ~10yr or longer project... (seems that way).. I can order a new mount for the MJ on-line for ~$40 to replace it. (NOTE: I just bought at Autozone for $30)

Well, the install went fine. But I looked at both mounts, the 2000 and 1991. The early 90's mount is very stout, where as the 2000 one is designed and built badly. Not sure what the engineers wore thinking, or if the accountants got ahold of it and made it at a lower cost.

So in short, 91 mount cost less and is more stout. 2000 cost 3 times as much, and looks pathetic when compared to earlier mount.

Anyone else notice this?

Anyone have pictures?

Some of the mounts at Rockauto are super cheap because they are super poor quality.

Your local carquest, napa etc should have one for a decent price. I believe they are lifetime warranty, IIRC.

Back