• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another p0740 thread

Jsgrind

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 jeep cherokee classic 2wd with a 4.0l engine.

Getting a p0740

Couple questions for the resident experts. Currently the vehicle drives fine, no slipping at all even on wide open throttle, the shifting is semi harsh i would say on a scale of 1-10 somewhere in the 3-5 range.

Tomorrow i'm going to try to test the ohms on the tcc circuit at the driver kick panel.

What i'm confused about is do i have a bad torque converter?

Do I have a bad transmission possibly?

Thanks for any help!

P0740 Jeep - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit

Possible causes

- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection

Okay, I think my DM is going bad. It does not work in the 200 Ohm Section properly? I know everyone is saying each solenoid should read between 11-18 ohms. Which I'm also assuming at the 200 Ohm Mark should read properly.

Anyhow, I've read each at the 2k Ohm setting. and get

Blue/White stripe Torque Converter .071 ohm
White Shift #2 Solenoid .705 ohm
Orange w/white #1 solenoid .071 ohm

I'm assuming at 2k if i move the decimal place over 3 times since i'm using 2k setting on DM I get for torque converter 71 ohm?

Anyhow, that seems wrong of course so either my DM is bad or something is screwy because i'm unable to read the numbers using 200 ohm setting. I've included some pics for the thread of my readings.

Also I checked the fluid as you mentioned and clearly it's bad, i'm going to buy a new DM drop the pan, change the fluid and test each solenoid. See those little black fibers, is that from the clutch or the stator possibly. I hope the fluid change will fix this issue.

IMG_0044.jpg

I have the same problem right now. I haven't noticed any transmission issues while driving at all. The weird thing is when I clear the code, it will come back even without starting or driving the Jeep. Does this mean its electrical?

I ordered a TPS and am going to change that and see if it does anything, the day before it showed up I cleaned the IAC and put some dielectric greats on the tps connectors so maybe I messed something up there.. I just did a fluid exchange, but the fluid is still dirty, so I am going to change the filter and fluid again soon and see if that clears it up some more. Keep me posted on what you find out. I will let you know what happens with mine..

Troy I drained and filled with some dexron iii g. I reset and got no code yet but going to drain and fill again. I plan on putting through till it gets pretty red again.

Still getting a p1459 for leak detection pump even though I replaced one brand new ugh.

Well hopefully that fixed it! I need to drain and refill a few more times as well. Its still brown after my first. It didnt take away the code though. My code immediately pops back up after clearing it.

I checked the codes again today and now I also have P0138 for O2 sensor high voltage or something:doh:.

So i drove the vehicle now about 40 miles and the code popped up,.. I had a pending p1459 but than i was probably cruising around 60-65 mph and punched it a little to keep up with traffic and check engine popped up....

I tried checking connector at harness... i had no resistance values, can anyone chime in? Thanks

So i drove the vehicle now about 40 miles and the code popped up,.. I had a pending p1459 but than i was probably cruising around 60-65 mph and punched it a little to keep up with traffic and check engine popped up....

I tried checking connector at harness... i had no resistance values, can anyone chime in? Thanks

Figure anything new out on the P0740?

I replaced all solenoids btw. And I would do torque converter but I don't do well laying on my back.

Took to trans ship they are supposed to replace torque converter. They were talking about a bushing possible internal.

Back