• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Pattern Advice?

Thedaringmove

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone! I'm new to NAXJA!
I picked up a Hp30 not too long ago so I'm attempting my first gear setup in the garage right now. I have all the necessary tools and an understanding of how everything works.

Problem is I've been bouncing back and forth between my pinion being too far and too close.

Here's my latest attempt:
Drive:

Coast:

Too close right?
Backlash is at .009

Planning on getting this done tonight so as soon as I get a response I'll go out and do it!

Thanks guys

Hey everyone! I'm new to NAXJA!
I picked up a Hp30 not too long ago so I'm attempting my first gear setup in the garage right now. I have all the necessary tools and an understanding of how everything works.

Problem is I've been bouncing back and forth between my pinion being too far and too close.

Here's my latest attempt:
Drive:

Coast:

Too close right?
Backlash is at .009

Planning on getting this done tonight so as soon as I get a response I'll go out and do it!

Thanks guys
Yep, too deep. The straight line at the root is a dead giveaway. Pull .010" from the pinion shims and run it again.

Realized the seal won't affect the pinion depth.

But I adjusted both the preload pinion shims and backlash just now for hopefully a final.

Drive:

Coast:

Just a little worried about the harsh line... Crossing my fingers though. Opinion?

Just curious, since you adjusted pinion depth, did you finalize with a baffle behind the race? Most master kits only include one and you usually destroy them driving the race out. It's only purpose is to hold gear oil in the pinion bearings so they live a long productive life.

Mark

Back