• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting my "What did I get myself into" build and have a few questions.

XJ in Vegas

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the 4x4 world, but not new to modifying vehicles. I picked up a 1995 XJ and decided to build a rig to take the family out on weekends to have some fun. I've been lurking here for a while and picked up a some parts to start my build.

I bought a Full Traction 6.5 lift and some H.D. Offroad Engineering frame stiffeners. Before I bought the parts I read a few post about a problem mounting the FT brackets on the frame with the HD frame stiffeners. I didn't bookmark the posts and cannot find them now.

Does anyone know what the problem was? I think it was with the stiffeners installed the frame was too wide for the FT brackets.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Starting my "What did I get myself into" build and have a few questions.

In case nobody answers with specifics, the general issue is that L-shaped and U-shaped stiffeners will prevent mounting holes on the brackets from lining up with holes in the frame rail.

I looked at the FT 9" long-arm kit and I don't see anything mounted to the rail that requires reusing existing holes. The LCA bracket is the only thing that mounts to the frame rail, and it uses self-tappers (that don't rely on pre-made holes) and another hole they want you to drill in the frame rail (which is not pre-made). If there is something I'm sure you are able to figure a workaround, like slotting the hole in the bolt-on bracket.

Maybe the issues is you can't use the self-tappers but I wouldn't use them anyway--if you are going to plate the rail you can drill and tap real threads, or use some heavy rivnuts.

Back