• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Behemoth Drivetrain Strong Box

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok I have been looking around again at options. I currently have a beaten and battered 2dr with 4.0L, AW4, 203D/205F, D60's 5.38 geared xj on 42SXII's. There are several issues with this heep but it was built up over time in stages. For instance I ran the D60's with 4.10s for a year till I could afford re-gearing. Oh yea I run H1's re-centered too. SO I have been looking at options on lower gearing and more power. Stroker is a thought but after running this transfer case set up I'm a firm believer it is built for v-8 power and low first gears. Now is anyone running this doubler? Anyone wheel with someone that runs one? This seems to be the best bang for buck for one of my problems. Not a low enough low range. Before you ask... I did the 203/205 for less then what this doubler cost.

http://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/STRONG_BOX_UNDERDRIVE_KITS.html

Jeez...what would your final drive ratio be with?

The last time we went wheeling, your engine sounded very sick (and not the good kind of "sick"). I feel as though it would be money well spent diagnosing the issues with it and going from there. The one time I hopped in it and started it up when we were past Palmetto Crossing, it sounded like it was only hitting on 5 cylinders.

Glen, Good luck with this guy, search for happy customers on the web and I am sure you won't find many. He is semi local to me and we had a deal worked out (I was going to sell them for him). He never did deliver a single one to me, I had paid for one in advance. Took me a looong time to get my money back.

He was in over his head with purchasing materials and paying for new stuff with new orders and not fulfilling old orders.

I am not one to usually bash a a guy trying to make money in the off road business but this guy is a piece of work.

The last time we went wheeling, your engine sounded very sick (and not the good kind of "sick"). I feel as though it would be money well spent diagnosing the issues with it and going from there. The one time I hopped in it and started it up when we were past Palmetto Crossing, it sounded like it was only hitting on 5 cylinders.

I'll recheck compression and spark when I get a chance. The number 6 was low when I pulled this one from a field. In my book if it runs and doesn't buck and knock its good to go.

Glen, Good luck with this guy, search for happy customers on the web and I am sure you won't find many. He is semi local to me and we had a deal worked out (I was going to sell them for him). He never did deliver a single one to me, I had paid for one in advance. Took me a looong time to get my money back.

He was in over his head with purchasing materials and paying for new stuff with new orders and not fulfilling old orders.

I am not one to usually bash a a guy trying to make money in the off road business but this guy is a piece of work.

Thanks Brian. Good info. Will do before I try and buy. This is exactly why I come here..... people I trust don't BS me.

David Bricker runs the black box i believe, and seems to be happy with it. You might try PMing him if you are looking for other doubler options

David Bricker runs the black box i believe, and seems to be happy with it. You might try PMing him if you are looking for other doubler options

Yea looking for something lighter then the 203 to put in front of my 205. 1.98:1 just isn't low enough for straight 6 power in my book.

Last edited:
FYI I checked his ebay and the last six months feedback is mostly for stuff he bought.

Last edited:
I run a 241/205 doubler. The 241 side is very light and uses the 6 bolt round pattern.

I use a doubler from Trail Tech Fab. Works great and the 205 side is infinitely clockable since you set it up how you want and then burn it home.

Thanks guys! I'll be researching both of them.

Nathen in the nwchapter(Mnkyboy) I know he's got one of the few behemoth boxes, I know he's still building up his mj's that it's in

Yep, I am running a Black Box in front of a 241OR. So, I have 2.72:1, 4:1 and 10.88:1. the 10:88 is a bit useless uphill - not enough momentum to get over much of anything.

The Black Box does have some idiosyncrasies in installation. Their mounting "foot" did not work without extensive modification. Calling them for support - they were friendly, but couldn't seem to completely understand what the issue was with the mounting foot not fitting.

The shifter mechanism is nice - cable operated, and quite smooth. The cable made mounting relatively simple. My shift level incorporates quite cleanly into the console, and doesn't look out of place.

I can try and post up some pictures if you need them.

David Bricker / SYR

Maybe throw some shaved Rockwell axles under your heep? Or buy an Atlast and recoup some cost by selling other parts?

Can always go this route

http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=3

I had a 203/205 doubler in a 79 ramcharger that I put the 3-1 gears in......

I called JB a couple years ago about a Ford 205 lomax kit. They said it was not going to be done at that time.

Yep, I am running a Black Box in front of a 241OR. So, I have 2.72:1, 4:1 and 10.88:1. the 10:88 is a bit useless uphill - not enough momentum to get over much of anything.

The Black Box does have some idiosyncrasies in installation. Their mounting "foot" did not work without extensive modification. Calling them for support - they were friendly, but couldn't seem to completely understand what the issue was with the mounting foot not fitting.

The shifter mechanism is nice - cable operated, and quite smooth. The cable made mounting relatively simple. My shift level incorporates quite cleanly into the console, and doesn't look out of place.

I can try and post up some pictures if you need them.

David Bricker / SYR

Mounting foot? The part that you mount to a cross member?

Maybe throw some shaved Rockwell axles under your heep? Or buy an Atlast and recoup some cost by selling other parts?

Thought about that but if I do that I'll likely start over. The extensive modification I did to flatten my Ford 205 and have high clearance ate considerably into the floor pan. Thanks guys for all the good info here. Not to get taxes filed and see what I have to work with.

Nathen in the nwchapter(Mnkyboy) I know he's got one of the few behemoth boxes, I know he's still building up his mj's that it's in

I do have one in the MJ, haven't redone the drive shafts yet so I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Other then taking a while to get it I didn't have any issues dealing with Jacob at Behemoth.

I do have one in the MJ, haven't redone the drive shafts yet so I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Other then taking a while to get it I didn't have any issues dealing with Jacob at Behemoth.

Yea I asked about time to ship....

How much time from purchase to shipment?

Hi.
Right now it's 3-4 weeks.
Thanks.

Mounting foot? The part that you mount to a cross member?

Yes. It's a 1/4" plate that mounts between the Black Box and the transfer case. I think part of our issue is that we were mounting to a 241OR, as opposed to a 231. Even though Black Box said it would mount, the opening in the mount was not large enough to clear the 241OR. We ended up cutting a new mount from scratch.

There were also some issue with the length of the studs that were shipped with the Black Box, but that was solved with different studs.

I will say the box shifts easily, and having 2.72:1 low in 2WD is quite handy.

David Bricker / SYR

Back