PDA

View Full Version : Things to do before the Crawl.....

Ghost
January 30th, 2015, 07:29
Things I have to do as of now:

New rear shocks
Fix running lights.

Things I would like to do.....

Strong Box
Lighten
More power

Lower it again: (Might have to look into ORI or Coil overs for this.)

downs807
January 30th, 2015, 09:37
I just mounted a new set of 33 MTR's. Which led me to doing some major bump stopping at both ends. Only other things on my list are new motor mounts and new header.

PacificEd
January 30th, 2015, 10:12
Engine...

fishinpolejoe
January 30th, 2015, 17:39
Hmmm . . .

Wake up, shower, brush teeth, fill tank and drive across the mountain.

I wonder if they sell non ethanol gas in Harlan.

cabz
January 30th, 2015, 17:52
Hopefully finish the wifeys grand wagoneer and find a trailer to haul two jeeps

Lowrange2
January 30th, 2015, 18:56
Put air in the front drivers side tire.

FlexdXJ
January 31st, 2015, 05:58
Load up the Subaru and put it in Drive....Easiest. Crawl. Packing. Ever. :D

Lowrange2
January 31st, 2015, 17:47
Subaru? What is this Subaru nonsense?

cabz
January 31st, 2015, 18:18
X2

FlexdXJ
January 31st, 2015, 18:20

X2

I'm driving the jeep to Colorado a week after the crawl.

fishinpolejoe
January 31st, 2015, 19:35
Hmmm . . .

Wake up, shower, brush teeth, fill tank and drive across the mountain.

I wonder if they sell non ethanol gas in Harlan.

After watching a video of one of the easy trails that I want to ride, I've put some additional thought into this. I deliver pizzas on rougher roads, but with the steep, narrow grades and the sheer drop offs, I want to be in top shape. I'd hate to lose steering or brakes up there and heights make me nervous at times.

Things I had planned on doing anyway:

Fix power steering leak
Refurbish left rear brake (The front has new calipers, pads, and discs. right rear brake has been refurbished.)
Replace plugs and wires
Flush cooling system
Two new tires for the front
Have a professional inspect the steering, suspension, etc. so I will know what needs to be replaced.

I'm expecting a decent tax return this year and I plan to use the majority of it for restoration. No mods, just replacing what is worn out.

My Jeep won't be working as hard as the others there, but I'm open to suggestions as to what I might need to check or replace before the trip. I'd never hear the end of it if I went up there and had to be towed back home and my XJ is my DD/work vehicle.

I have new shocks, water pump, fan clutch, alternator, a handful of new sensors and fresh brakes minus the one pending job. Fuel filter will need replacing by July. I'm sure it would be a good idea to carry an assortment of fluids.

That's all I can think of for now.

Cottontail
February 1st, 2015, 05:20
-Tires
-Figure out steering issues
-Fab up a rear tire carrier (?)

February 2nd, 2015, 09:06
Tires: should be buying new LTB's and rims in the next month or so

Oil change on jeep and tow rig

Pack up and go!!

Pray we don't have a trailer debacle like last year.

Had cabin booked since last year!!

Already set my fuel and cabin money aside so other than food (We have to eat regardless of where we're at so that's easy) we're good to go!

The Hard Struggler
February 2nd, 2015, 09:42
Floyd is tip top after coming home from Moab! Hooray!

The Blumpkin needs motor and trans mounts. I think that is about all.

IllianaXJ
February 3rd, 2015, 11:43
Mostly depends on what happens at WinterFest.

Need to throw some 134a in it, probably do that at the campground. A rear locker would be nice. Wouldn't hurt to go over the cooling system.

JRT1393
February 4th, 2015, 07:16
-Part out parts ZJ for crawl money
-Put parts ZJ engine in XJ to get rid of the one with the hole in the side of the block
-Track down a way to tow the thing up there

Rear end
-Throw D44 under rear
-Mini spool in D44
-Bastard pack w/ new bushings and bolts
-Bump stops
-Repair rear upper shock mounts
-Bar pin eliminators

Front end
-Rebuild RE LCA's and install
-Replace front drive shaft
-Front locker
-Bar pin eliminators to fix shock mounts
-Bump stops
-Simple bumper?

Armor/protection
-Install TC skid
-Track down and install gas tank skid
-Rocker protection
-Rollover protection of some sort
-Frame stiffeners?

downs807
February 5th, 2015, 05:58
JRT sounds like your going to be a busy man between now and the crawl. I did manage to get my mega bump stops mounted. Total of 7inch in the rear with 4 1/2 in up travel and 4 1/2 in the front. http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g471/downs807/6879FE9D-E4A2-4170-9523-1E78B52E76F2.jpg

JRT1393
February 5th, 2015, 07:15
JRT sounds like your going to be a busy man between now and the crawl.

Yeah hopefully Spring break is going to be my saving grace. Honestly the biggest challenge is going to be finding a way to get it towed up the mountain. Although I believe a buddy of mine may be able to help me as long as I can track down a trailer that can fit both my XJ and his Bronco on it, which would be a challenge in and of itself

UNCC_99XJ
February 8th, 2015, 09:20
Fix my tcase (in progress)

Replace control arms

Whatever else decides to go wrong between now and then.

Buzzstrike
March 16th, 2015, 15:37

Oh how true...

For my first crawl with yuns, I hope to have the Durango steering box installed along with my new front bump stops this week.

But hopefully before July I'll get my rock rails built up and installed and IF I'm lucky get the 4.56 gear sets in. 33" with 3.55's against the AX-15 4.0, it's a bit sluggish.

IllianaXJ
March 16th, 2015, 23:03
Mostly depends on what happens at WinterFest.

Need to throw some 134a in it, probably do that at the campground. A rear locker would be nice. Wouldn't hurt to go over the cooling system.

Well, new list.

- Put together new front axle housing
- Figure out what CAs to go with
- Radiator/lower hose/check water pump
- Finish tire carrier install
- Rear locker
- Recharge A/C (maybe this should go to #1 :D)
- Grow money tree to feed the Yukon's 87 octane habit

yuns

I thought my wife's grandmother was the only one that said that.

March 17th, 2015, 06:26
Got my tires and rims on, made a spare tire mount.

Now I just need to do an oil change in the tow rig and the MJ and pretty much we're ready.

UNCC_99XJ
March 18th, 2015, 08:21
Well, new list.

- Put together new front axle housing
- Figure out what CAs to go with
- Radiator/lower hose/check water pump
- Finish tire carrier install
- Rear locker
- Recharge A/C (maybe this should go to #1 :D)
- Grow money tree to feed the Yukon's 87 octane habit

I thought my wife's grandmother was the only one that said that.

If you haven't got your AC working by the crawl, let me know and I can work some magic on it in Harlan :)

Lowrange2
March 18th, 2015, 12:59
Since I no longer have to worry about putting air in my front tire I might consider hooking my radio back up in the Jeep.

Ghost
March 26th, 2015, 09:09
Things I have to do as of now:

New rear shocks
Fix running lights.

Things I would like to do.....

Strong Box
Lighten
More power

Lower it again: (Might have to look into ORI or Coil overs for this.)

So this list got thrown out the door:

New list:

Rear Bar tubes
Repair Fuel Pump Ground
Taillights/fix headlight switch
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts
New tie rod (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship)
35 spline stubs and flanges
tune up, fuel filter, air filter, plugs
address noise under hood, suspect e fan
maybe move power steering cooler to the rear cage
steering column

March 26th, 2015, 10:28
I have to add a track bar to my front suspension. I have the bar and made the brackets/mounts out of 1/4" steel...now I just need to get it all welded up ...dammit I gotta learn how to weld!

I also need to move my battery...I had to put in another one as the old one died...this one is a lot bigger. I did some 'massaging' and made it fit but it's still too close to the mech fan.

Ghost
March 26th, 2015, 20:26
New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground
Taillights/fix headlight switch
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts
steering column

Lowrange2
March 27th, 2015, 05:39
OH! I have to do something before the crawl.

I have to replace my front left brake caliper.

Ghost
March 30th, 2015, 08:14
New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground
Taillights/fix headlight switch Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts
steering column

shortxjdoug
March 31st, 2015, 14:29
i will be bringing this.... hopefully it will look different by then
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/10384842_10100472341131908_8092910148437077334_n.j pg?oh=0f510d6610ce5811ba4ce92a27cbf28b&oe=55AC30AB&__gda__=1437247138_f452f16c4daa55c6ad1fb36274032a0 5

Lowrange2
April 1st, 2015, 08:28
Is it going to leave under it's own power this time?

April 1st, 2015, 13:01
i will be bringing this.... hopefully it will look different by then
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/10384842_10100472341131908_8092910148437077334_n.j pg?oh=0f510d6610ce5811ba4ce92a27cbf28b&oe=55AC30AB&__gda__=1437247138_f452f16c4daa55c6ad1fb36274032a0 5

You shooting for something like this? This was my first rig I ever took to a crawl back on 2005. HP44/9" 4.56 gears and detroits in both with 35X15 TSL's. I need to find a pic of it when it was finished. There are some vids and pics out there of it in Tellico but I can't find them.
I put a tool box right behind the cab and put the fuel tank in it and then mounted the spare tire to the big X that is the rear MJ frame. That was my first 'real' trail rig.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/tracjas/86%20MJ_zpsjqofnied.jpg (http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/tracjas/media/86%20MJ_zpsjqofnied.jpg.html)

shortxjdoug
April 1st, 2015, 19:16
Is it going to leave under it's own power this time?

The last one left under its own power. Didnt even need the ramps to load it

shortxjdoug
April 1st, 2015, 19:57
You shooting for something like this? This was my first rig I ever took to a crawl back on 2005. HP44/9" 4.56 gears and detroits in both with 35X15 TSL's. I need to find a pic of it when it was finished. There are some vids and pics out there of it in Tellico but I can't find them.

I put a tool box right behind the cab and put the fuel tank in it and then mounted the spare tire to the big X that is the rear MJ frame. That was my first 'real' trail rig.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/tracjas/86%20MJ_zpsjqofnied.jpg (http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/tracjas/media/86%20MJ_zpsjqofnied.jpg.html)

Ill be sticking to the axles and short arms from the ugly truck. Going to build

Btw i have some video of that jeep losing front leaf springs on slickrock, ill have to dig it out of the archives

Lowrange2
April 2nd, 2015, 03:47
The last one left under its own power. Didnt even need the ramps to load it

I'll rephrase, do you plan to break this one in half?

shortxjdoug
April 2nd, 2015, 04:56
I'll rephrase, do you plan to break this one in half?

Ha no, i would like to avoid the grisly death of this one

April 2nd, 2015, 06:50
Ill be sticking to the axles and short arms from the ugly truck. Going to build

Btw i have some video of that jeep losing front leaf springs on slickrock, ill have to dig it out of the archives

LOL. Yeah that was on slick rock...it broke a center pin and walked the front axle on the driver side out and separated the driveshaft. But Glen had a center pin and we put it together and kept going.
Luckily (well not really lucky) Travis's wife Michelle's rig popped either a stub shaft or a u-joint as she was coming up slick rock behind me so I wasn't the only one holding people up!

Ghost
April 2nd, 2015, 06:55
LOL. Yeah that was on slick rock...it broke a center pin and walked the front axle on the driver side out and separated the driveshaft. But Glen had a center pin and we put it together and kept going.
Luckily (well not really lucky) Travis's wife Michelle's rig popped either a stub shaft or a u-joint as she was coming up slick rock behind me so I wasn't the only one holding people up!

I remember that.... good times... IIRC that was the beginning of the Carnage award. That stub and joint are still on the trophy. You guys need to go check out DT some time.

Cottontail
April 4th, 2015, 17:43
-Tires
-Fab up a rear tire carrier DONE
-Front axle u-joints
-HO Off-road shackle relocation brackets
-Drop from 5.5" to 3.5" (maybe - on the fence about this)
-New centering pins on rear leaves

Ghost
April 5th, 2015, 10:21
New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts
steering column
Fix breaking leaf spring mount

fishinpolejoe
April 6th, 2015, 21:14
Just curious, what happens when people completely break down (beyond on the spot repair) on the trail? I'm sure it happens to plenty of people. The Black Mtn website doesn't mention anything about a tow service being available. The rules simply state: "#25. Non-operative vehicles should be moved to the side of the trails and attended to immediately.". There's nothing mentioned about what to do if you can't repair your vehicle or what it might cost to get towed.

BRIANHO13
April 7th, 2015, 04:50
Just curious, what happens when people completely break down (beyond on the spot repair) on the trail? I'm sure it happens to plenty of people. The Black Mtn website doesn't mention anything about a tow service being available. The rules simply state: "#25. Non-operative vehicles should be moved to the side of the trails and attended to immediately.". There's nothing mentioned about what to do if you can't repair your vehicle or what it might cost to get towed.

Your friends get you off the mountain. No one is left behind.

April 7th, 2015, 04:54
Your group will drag, push, pull, carry, roll, or whatever it takes to get you back to camp.

If your group can't... someone will stay with you and help will be sent to bring back someone who can.

Ghost
April 7th, 2015, 06:11

Your group will drag, push, pull, carry, roll, or whatever it takes to get you back to camp.

If your group can't... someone will stay with you and help will be sent to bring back someone who can.

This is pretty much how it goes. I myself have driven to the Evart's side with my truck and trailer to get jeeps and ridden with others to help get jeeps back to camp. The Evart's side has a entrance that is truck and trailer friendly and much easier then dragging a broken vehicle over the mountain. We will get you home. :clap:

Cottontail
April 7th, 2015, 16:59
-Tires
-Front axle u-joints
-HO Off-road shackle relocation brackets
-New lower control arm bushings-Get spare big joint small shaft

shortxjdoug
April 7th, 2015, 19:04

You fix it and get it back. You're not going to find a tow service

fishinpolejoe
April 7th, 2015, 20:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpolejoe http://www.naxja.org/forum/skorpyoimages/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246217397#post246217397)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 http://www.naxja.org/forum/skorpyoimages/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246217427#post246217427)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043500 http://www.naxja.org/forum/skorpyoimages/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246217428#post246217428)

This is pretty much how it goes. I myself have driven to the Evart's side with my truck and trailer to get jeeps and ridden with others to help get jeeps back to camp. The Evart's side has a entrance that is truck and trailer friendly and much easier then dragging a broken vehicle over the mountain. We will get you home. :clap:

Awesome! It takes a really good group of people to look out for folks they barely know like that. You guys are alright in my book.

BRIANHO13
April 8th, 2015, 05:59
Some people we would leave up there (like Ghost) but newbs we will definitely help get back down the mountain.

Ghost
April 8th, 2015, 06:00
You fix it and get it back. You're not going to find a tow service

Or there is this..... I broke in Lion's Den one year and I believe there were about 4 different people who jumped in to help figure out I popped the main fuse under the hood......

Ghost
April 8th, 2015, 06:01
Some people we would leave up there (like Ghost) but newbs we will definitely help get back down the mountain.

You're just mad I didn't invite you to the chop..... :smootch:

Cottontail
April 8th, 2015, 18:44
-Tires
-Figure out steering issues Think my wheelbase was shorter on the passengers side. Measured and adjusted the LCAs. Yet to test drive
-Front axle u-joints DONE
-HO Off-road shackle relocation brackets On my workbench
-New lower control arm bushings DONE
-Get spare big joint small shaft DONE
-Driver's side wheel bearing and hub
-Swap rear leaves side to side
-Get junkyard replacement driver side mirror

UNCC_99XJ
April 9th, 2015, 12:53
Or there is this..... I broke in Lion's Den one year and I believe there were about 4 different people who jumped in to help figure out I popped the main fuse under the hood......

Be honest....there was quite a bit of laughing involved.

Still one of my favorite crawl moments :D

April 14th, 2015, 06:51
I have to add a track bar to my front suspension. I have the bar and made the brackets/mounts out of 1/4" steel...now I just need to get it all welded up ...dammit I gotta learn how to weld!

I also need to move my battery...I had to put in another one as the old one died...this one is a lot bigger. I did some 'massaging' and made it fit but it's still too close to the mech fan.

DONE (except learning how to weld) WHAT A DIFFERENCE! And done on the battery issue as well.

Of course now I REALLY need to pump up the "guns"...unless I can afford hydraulic assist before we leave! Turning 37's with a locked front end SUCKS in 4WD!

Lowrange2
April 14th, 2015, 11:15
DONE (except learning how to weld) WHAT A DIFFERENCE! And done on the battery issue as well.

Of course now I REALLY need to pump up the "guns"...unless I can afford hydraulic assist before we leave! Turning 37's with a locked front end SUCKS in 4WD!

I have roughly $130 invested in my hydraulic assist.

The ram was $100, 2 hydraulic lines, a couple fittings and drilled and tapped the stock steering box.

If I did it again I'd spend a little more on the ram but that can always be upgraded later.

I'm (http://www.surpluscenter.com) thinking this is the one I used. I could be wrong on the exact length. You'd need to measure how much throw you have from lock to lock in your steering. Then set the ram to max out at that location. Other than that, it's super simple.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Cylinders/Double-Acting-Hydraulic-Cylinders/1X8X0-625-DA-HYD-CYL-SWIVEL-EYES-9-7257-8.axd

shortxjdoug
April 14th, 2015, 17:23
the psc cylinders are relatively affordable these days too. tap the box and source the hydraulic lines locally and your still flying low on budget.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/cylinder-assist-gears-kits-components/assist-cylinders/1-75-x-8-assist-cylinder.html

The Hard Struggler
April 14th, 2015, 23:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpolejoe http://www.naxja.org/forum/skorpyoimages/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246217397#post246217397)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13
http://www.naxja.org/forum/skorpyoimages/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246217427#post246217427)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043500 http://www.naxja.org/forum/skorpyoimages/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246217428#post246217428)

Awesome! It takes a really good group of people to look out for folks they barely know like that. You guys are alright in my book.

While all of the above is the gospel truth, we do reserve the right to give you some good natured ribbing while we get you off the mountain.

Especially if the reason you are broken is because you were unprepared,
"Hey guys,? Um, my engine blew up because I forgot to fill the radiator with water." = Big time poking fun and laughing at you.

Ghost
April 15th, 2015, 05:18
I have roughly $130 invested in my hydraulic assist.

The ram was $100, 2 hydraulic lines, a couple fittings and drilled and tapped the stock steering box.

If I did it again I'd spend a little more on the ram but that can always be upgraded later.

I'm (http://www.surpluscenter.com) thinking this is the one I used. I could be wrong on the exact length. You'd need to measure how much throw you have from lock to lock in your steering. Then set the ram to max out at that location. Other than that, it's super simple.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Cylinders/Double-Acting-Hydraulic-Cylinders/1X8X0-625-DA-HYD-CYL-SWIVEL-EYES-9-7257-8.axd

the psc cylinders are relatively affordable these days too. tap the box and source the hydraulic lines locally and your still flying low on budget.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/cylinder-assist-gears-kits-components/assist-cylinders/1-75-x-8-assist-cylinder.html

I agree here but will say I have put at least 3 maybe 4 PS pumps on mine.

Lowrange2
April 15th, 2015, 05:24
I agree here but will say I have put at least 3 maybe 4 PS pumps on mine.

I've somehow managed to never have an issue from mine.

I installed a PS fluid cooler when I installed the rest of it.

Ghost
April 15th, 2015, 05:27
I've somehow managed to never have an issue from mine.

I installed a PS fluid cooler when I installed the rest of it.

Did that after the first two. The last one seems to be working when it wants to..... I have also had a problem keeping fluid in the reservoir.

Lowrange2
April 15th, 2015, 06:03
lol, Perhaps the lack of fluid is killing them?

April 15th, 2015, 06:49
Thanks for the info...I may be able to swing something like that before the Crawl (hopefully).

Is there a better box I can put in besides the stock unit? I know that is a whole other can (or cans) of worms since I read J20, Durango, etc etc on boxes.

I already have a PS fluid cooler installed.

Ghost
April 15th, 2015, 07:00
lol, Perhaps the lack of fluid is killing them?

It might be but the main issue is the fluid comes out the top when on climbs.

Thanks for the info...I may be able to swing something like that before the Crawl (hopefully).

Is there a better box I can put in besides the stock unit? I know that is a whole other can (or cans) of worms since I read J20, Durango, etc etc on boxes.

I already have a PS fluid cooler installed.

Hindsight speaking here. I bought a box taped and a rebuild kit. I'll never do that again. Those damn balls in the box are a bitch to get right. It's a lot more dollars but imho worth it. PSC is the only way to go with hydro I hear.

The Hard Struggler
April 15th, 2015, 08:34
The key to drilling and tapping a box easily, is to not take the box apart. Both Tyler and my steering boxes were tapped by holding them upside down and putting some heavy grease on the bit and tap. Works great! Shavings fall right down or stick to the grease.

Ghost
April 15th, 2015, 09:03
The key to drilling and tapping a box easily, is to not take the box apart. Both Tyler and my steering boxes were tapped by holding them upside down and putting some heavy grease on the bit and tap. Works great! Shavings fall right down or stick to the grease.

Yea I think I read something about that somewhere.

New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers Done!
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts
steering column
Fix breaking leaf spring mount Done!

Seems like I have seen people use hose clamps to mount their driveshaft's to the cage. Good or Bad idea? Also any thoughts to relocating the PS cooler to the rear?

The Hard Struggler
April 15th, 2015, 22:26
I use two big hose clamps to hold each of my spare drive shafts to the cage.

BRIANHO13
April 16th, 2015, 03:41
I used zip ties, easy to remove, easy to put new ones on.

macgyvr
April 16th, 2015, 22:13
I have to fix myself before I can go...the Jeep is pretty much ready, tho the list of things I wanted to do to it before the Crawl are all put on hold.

Shredded my Achilles at work on 4/4. Surgery a week ago...on the mend now. It's just a 3-4 month recovery before I can go back to work...and work my part times...which pay for the fun trips.

mac 'a maybe at this point' gyvr

April 17th, 2015, 05:01
I have to fix myself before I can go...the Jeep is pretty much ready, tho the list of things I wanted to do to it before the Crawl are all put on hold.

Shredded my Achilles at work on 4/4. Surgery a week ago...on the mend now. It's just a 3-4 month recovery before I can go back to work...and work my part times...which pay for the fun trips.

mac 'a maybe at this point' gyvr

Good luck on the recovery. That sucks.

I think you can make it...worst case is you just ride and do no walking. Hell...you've got time...build an offroad wheelchair!

Seriously...I hope it all works out.

beer_goggles_009
April 17th, 2015, 09:11
Another vote to hold spare driveshafts to the cage with zip ties and bungee cords.

Ghost
April 17th, 2015, 09:53
I use two big hose clamps to hold each of my spare drive shafts to the cage.

Thought about that.

I used zip ties, easy to remove, easy to put new ones on.

Another vote to hold spare driveshafts to the cage with zip ties and bungee cords.

Really? I'd be surprised if they didn't break...

BRIANHO13
April 17th, 2015, 12:41
Don't use cheap tiny ones.

Ghost
April 24th, 2015, 05:13
New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers Done!
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts Done!
tune up: fuel filter, air filter, plugs
steering column
Fix breaking leaf spring mount Done!

downs807
April 29th, 2015, 07:19
Well this past weekend I made an attempt to build an anti wrap bar. But once i got it finished and tested I reliezed its way too short and its causing me to have lift during acceleration and it's limiting me about 2" from bumpstop on the driver side. So guess I'll redesign and make it longer. http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g471/downs807/BB94416C-81F9-47D1-A915-FF01942D124B.jpg

Lowrange2
April 29th, 2015, 09:20
Oh, yeah. You want it twice that long.

My shackle is between the front spring hangers. I've noticed no binding and an Awesome increase in rubber to the rocks.

UNCC_99XJ
April 29th, 2015, 20:18
Fix my tcase Close enough.

Replace control arms

shortxjdoug
April 30th, 2015, 15:18
Fix my tcase Close enough.

Thats the spirit!

FlexdXJ
May 1st, 2015, 10:46
Not going to Colorado so......get the new engine buttoned up and make sure it's gonna make it to Harlan.

macgyvr
May 1st, 2015, 10:48
Not going to Colorado so......get the new engine buttoned up and make sure it's gonna make it to Harlan.

Stroker?

mac 'haven't heard much about it' gyvr

Cottontail
May 2nd, 2015, 19:31
-Tires
-Figure out alignment issues
-Shackle relocation brackets Passenger Side - DONE, Driver's Side - Not Done
-New centering pins on rear leaves DONE
-Grade 8 hardware for tire carrier DONE
-New leaf spring bushings

RedHeep
May 3rd, 2015, 13:04
This is always a list of things I don't get done, but at least it's entertaining.

1. headgasket
2. cage tie ins
3. unibody stiffners
4. build rear bumper
5. build tire carrier for rear bumper
6. leaf spring bushings
7. swaybar link mounts
8. fluids
9. alignment
10. refinish front bumper

I could go on, but I'm only going to do 3 or 4 of these things anyways.

macgyvr
May 3rd, 2015, 13:06
^Balljoints?

mac 'making it longer' gyvr

RedHeep
May 3rd, 2015, 13:13
^Balljoints?

mac 'making it longer' gyvr

Oh yeah, I should do those too.

11. balljoints
12. hub service

The list isn't prioritized, completion is completely random.

UNCC_99XJ
May 3rd, 2015, 18:28
Thats the spirit!

Drove it the other day, and the noise is back again. Might be because I beat the snot out of the new bearing on installation. F-it. There's more important issues that need to be sorted out elsewhere on the Jeep.

shortxjdoug
May 3rd, 2015, 18:30
Drove it the other day, and the noise is back again. Might be because I beat the snot out of the new bearing on installation. F-it. There's more important issues that need to be sorted out elsewhere on the Jeep.

Put an atlas in it :D

Lowrange2
May 4th, 2015, 05:30
I still think it's the transmission.

shortxjdoug
May 4th, 2015, 09:40

Hell i'll bring one. If it craps the bed we'll put one in right there in the campground :D

Lowrange2
May 4th, 2015, 10:30
Hell i'll bring one. If it craps the bed we'll put one in right there in the campground :D

I tried to give him one but he wouldn't cooperate.

Ghost
May 4th, 2015, 12:53

I'm game! I'll help!

BRIANHO13
May 4th, 2015, 13:26
I'm game! I'll help! After I fix what I broke

Fify

UNCC_99XJ
May 4th, 2015, 18:41
Put an atlas in it :D

Can you make one appear, ready to go in, at no cost to me? :D

I don't. It was completely quiet for about a day with the new bearing in it. I think I killed the new one pounding it into place and fighting that stupid snap ring that holds it in.

I really need to invest in a nice set of snap ring pliers.

Ghost
May 5th, 2015, 04:55
Can you make one appear, ready to go in, at no cost to me? :D

I don't. It was completely quiet for about a day with the new bearing in it. I think I killed the new one pounding it into place and fighting that stupid snap ring that holds it in.

I really need to invest in a nice set of snap ring pliers.

Isn't that the snap ring with a flat surface? No Holes?

downs807
May 5th, 2015, 06:28
Fixed it, thanks for the advice. Works great. http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g471/downs807/8BE92710-BE6B-4221-94E2-42E2B70E88D5.jpg

Lowrange2
May 5th, 2015, 09:27

You think two totally different t-cases are showing the exact same symptoms?

BRIANHO13
May 5th, 2015, 09:29
Well I either need to buy a camper or get a hotel room just sold the camper that I already have

Ghost
May 5th, 2015, 09:41
You think two totally different t-cases are showing the exact same symptoms?

Yes because he swapped his SYE over and it was that bearing he replaced that quieted it down for a short time.... Chances are it was damage on install..... :dunce:

Lowrange2
May 5th, 2015, 09:47
Well I either need to buy a camper or get a hotel room just sold the camper that I already have

Walmart: 4 man tent. $39.95

Yes because he swapped his SYE over and it was that bearing he replaced that quieted it down for a short time.... Chances are it was damage on install..... :dunce:

Ah, that makes sense.

I don't understand why there was beating going on. Warm that bearing up and she slips right on.

BRIANHO13
May 5th, 2015, 09:53
Walmart: 4 man tent. $39.95

Ah, that makes sense.

I don't understand why there was beating going on. Warm that bearing up and she slips right on.

I will never tent camp again, unless its for boy scouts with my son.

Lowrange2
May 5th, 2015, 10:08

C'mon now. Get yourself a hammock.

I'll either crash in the back of the Towbitch or hang my hammock in a tree.

RedHeep
May 5th, 2015, 10:51
You can borrow the Kodiak canvas. It's basically like being in a cabin.

downs807
May 5th, 2015, 11:05
I tent camp everytime. Mostly because the funds haven't freed up for a truck bed camper to put on my gooseneck. But tent camping isn't bad it's all ive ever know so can't miss somthing you've never had right?

Cottontail
May 5th, 2015, 11:44
Things to do before the crawl.....

.....hmm, with only 5 registrations in hand to date, most everyone posting in this thread need to add

-REGISTER FOR THE CRAWL!

(me included)

macgyvr
May 5th, 2015, 12:15

Worth repeating...

mac 'I'll bet you can find a good deal on a camper' gyvr

BRIANHO13
May 5th, 2015, 12:29
Hotels/Cabins are cheaper than campers.....

Too bad all the cabins are booked.

May 5th, 2015, 13:09
Things to do before the crawl.....

.....hmm, with only 5 registrations in hand to date, most everyone posting in this thread need to add

-REGISTER FOR THE CRAWL!

(me included)

I registered (the day it opened I think) :D

FlexdXJ
May 5th, 2015, 14:21
Stroker?

mac 'haven't heard much about it' gyvr

No, the block was pretty bad. I bought the engine Pat had.

IllianaXJ
May 5th, 2015, 17:46

Yep. This is why I pay $200/mo for a 30' travel trailer. "Camping".

My Jeep list is still the same, I would like to have the 'new' front axle built by then, but as long as I get the radiator changed I can wheel.

Cottontail
May 6th, 2015, 04:51
-Tires
-Shackle relocation brackets DONE
-New leaf spring bushings
-Register for the Crawl

UNCC_99XJ
May 7th, 2015, 04:56
Isn't that the snap ring with a flat surface? No Holes?
Indeed!

Yep. This is why I pay $200/mo for a 30' travel trailer. "Camping".

My Jeep list is still the same, I would like to have the 'new' front axle built by then, but as long as I get the radiator changed I can wheel.

Bring it with you to the crawl and we'll change it there!

Ghost
May 7th, 2015, 05:00
Indeed!

That pair of snap ring pliers goes with me as does an output shaft to every crawl..... :eek:

IllianaXJ
May 7th, 2015, 19:41

Axle or radiator? :D

I will get the radiator done before the Redbird trip at the end of the month. I made sure to get the finest Chinese one AAP had that had a warranty so I can swap it in Harlan if it pops.

PacificEd
May 7th, 2015, 19:47
I just noticed tonight that the inside of my rear wheel seems to have gear oil leaking on it. I guess the rear wheel seal on my 8.8 has failed.

UNCC_99XJ
May 7th, 2015, 19:52

I will get the radiator done before the Redbird trip at the end of the month. I made sure to get the finest Chinese one AAP had that had a warranty so I can swap it in Harlan when it pops.

Fixed it for you.

And i'm not afraid of an axle swap in the camp ground....

I just noticed tonight that the inside of my rear wheel seems to have gear oil leaking on it. I guess the rear wheel seal on my 8.8 has failed.

The one I just took out was doing the same thing. Didn't notice until I took the tire off that it had started leaking.

The Hard Struggler
May 8th, 2015, 08:41

Be sure and check the bearing as well, usally the seal fails because of to much slop in the bearing. Is your 8.8 running stock shafts?

PacificEd
May 8th, 2015, 11:52
Be sure and check the bearing as well, usally the seal fails because of to much slop in the bearing. Is your 8.8 running stock shafts?

Yes, it has stock shafts in it still. I'll take a look at everything when I take it apart. I might even throw a locker in the rear while it's apart.

UNCC_99XJ
May 9th, 2015, 08:45
Control arms are on:

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1908209_10101930596391517_5496709296227908026_n.jp g?oh=e4755b90275473d3c965c84ed7b49263&oe=55C73188

Just need to paint the bare threads. Man what a world of difference...

Cottontail
May 9th, 2015, 18:44
-Tires
-Swap rear leaves side to side DONE
-New leaf spring bushings DONE
-Register for the Crawl

Ghost
May 12th, 2015, 18:15
New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers Done!
tool storage tie downs Done!
Mount spare driveshafts Done!
New tie rod (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship) Done! Picking up when I go to DT!
tune up, fuel filter,
air filter, Done!
plugs
address noise under hood, suspect e fan It went away..... Done!
steering column
Fix breaking leaf spring mounts Done!

Cottontail
May 13th, 2015, 08:46
I thought you hated yellow....

Ghost
May 13th, 2015, 08:55
I thought you hated yellow....

Yep! :roflmao: :rof: :wave1:

JRT1393
May 14th, 2015, 08:08

Fixed it for you.

And i'm not afraid of an axle swap in the camp ground....

X2. An axle swap at the campground sounds fun!

My to-do list hasn't changed, I haven't had a chance to touch the thing with school wrapping up here recently. There will probably be a thrash to get the XJ done right before the Crawl. I just know that's how it's going to turn out. If nothing else, I'll drive the ZJ to Harlan and ride with people on the trails. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. I want my XJ back haha

Cottontail
May 14th, 2015, 10:54
-Tires
-Get junkyard replacement driver side mirror DONE
-Register for the Crawl

Molly Ann
May 14th, 2015, 18:17
Buy beer and bacon

PacificEd
May 15th, 2015, 06:53
Buy beer and bacon

That's what I'm talking about!!

Ghost
May 15th, 2015, 07:06
Rear Bar tubes: Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground: Done!
Taillights/fix headlight switch: Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers: Done!
tool storage tie downs: Done!
Mount spare driveshaft's: Done!
New tie rod: (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship) Done! Picking up when I go to DT!
35 spline stubs and flanges:
tune up, fuel filter:
air filter: Done!
plugs:
maybe move power steering cooler to the rear cage:
steering column:
Relocate Battery to rear:
On board air:

May 15th, 2015, 11:49
Buy beer and bacon

I think this year I'm gonna try to trump Molly's pitcher 'o' bacon at the potluck...I'm thinking...CANDIED BACON!

FlexdXJ
May 15th, 2015, 13:38
You're not gonna out bacon us!!!

BRIANHO13
May 15th, 2015, 14:41
I think this year I'm gonna try to trump Molly's pitcher 'o' bacon at the potluck...I'm thinking...CANDIED BACON!

The only thing you can do to make bacon better is

Wait

For

It

Nothing.

cabz
May 16th, 2015, 05:57
Buy beer and bacon
As necessary as gas and air!

PacificEd
May 20th, 2015, 13:42
Locker is ordered for my Ford 8.8 LS diff. Woot woot!!!! I should have it no later than Tuesday.

I need to get my bearings and seals and I will be ready to get the rear end done.

RedHeep
May 20th, 2015, 15:03
Locker is ordered for my Ford 8.8 LS diff. Woot woot!!!! I should have it no later than Tuesday.

I need to get my bearings and seals and I will be ready to get the rear end done.

I thought you could only put a locker in an open case.

PacificEd
May 20th, 2015, 19:35
I thought you could only put a locker in an open case.

PowerTrax offers the only 8.8 LS lunchbox locker out there. Part number 92-0688-2128. The locker was too good of a deal to pass up.

beer_goggles_009
May 28th, 2015, 04:20
rebuild spare drive shaft
fix broken bolt on T-case mount
Install suspension seats
replace trailer fenders

May 28th, 2015, 05:24
You're not gonna out bacon us!!!

LOL :D

I made 3 pounds of it Sunday...it literally lasted 10 minutes amongst 10 people.

89eliminator
May 30th, 2015, 10:55
finish the tube work
swap in a new steering box
mount gas tank in bed

PacificEd
June 1st, 2015, 07:59
I can mark "register" off my list.

Cottontail
June 1st, 2015, 10:25
Yep, Ed! Me too!

-Tires
-Register for the Crawl DONE

bwfdrums
June 2nd, 2015, 04:49
Replace rear leaf springs
Dana 44 truss
Brown dog motor mounts
Replace cracked windshield
Come up with a different kind of front upper bumpstops
Change fluids
Dove tail the front/ or something of that nature

Redeck trailer
New trailer lights

Ghost
June 2nd, 2015, 05:34
Updated after my DT trip...

Fix/replace windshield:
fix rock lights on front
New tie rod: (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship) Done! Need to be painted and mounted....
35 spline stubs and flanges: $$$ Says on hold....
tune up, fuel filter:
plugs:
steering column:
On board air:

Cottontail
June 3rd, 2015, 18:54
-Tires
-Driver's side wheel bearing and hub DONE
-Grease all fittings DONE
-Oil Change
-Transfer case fluid change
-Recharge A/C

Ghost
June 4th, 2015, 06:27

Fix/replace windshield:
fix rock lights on front
New tie rod: Done! Needs to be mounted....
tune up, fuel filter:
plugs:
steering column:
On board air:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/xjghost/D60s/E5D3654B-2543-47E6-A891-00AE5E4565C8_zpssrdfu1oq.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/xjghost/media/D60s/E5D3654B-2543-47E6-A891-00AE5E4565C8_zpssrdfu1oq.jpg.html)

Lowrange2
June 6th, 2015, 05:40
That's not going to clash with your Jeep at all...

June 8th, 2015, 05:33
Changed the oil/filter, air filter in the MJ. Dropped the trans pan and swapped in another solenoid to fix my no 2nd gear issue...and it did fix it... but now have no convertor lockup...good thing I don't need it for the Crawl. I'm not dropping the pan again unless I absolutely have to.

Changed the fuel filter and air filter in the dodge. Will do the oil and oil filter this week.

Then it's a matter of packing and loading up to go!

19 days from now we will be N bound in I-75!

Cottontail
June 8th, 2015, 07:51
-Tires Mounted on the Rims
-Oil Change DONE
-Transfer case fluid change DONE
-Recharge A/C DONE

JRT1393
June 8th, 2015, 09:10
-Part out parts ZJ for crawl money
-Put parts ZJ engine in XJ to get rid of the one with the hole in the side of the block Halfway done
-Track down a way to tow the thing up there

Rear end
-Throw D44 under rear
-Mini spool in D44
-Bastard pack w/ new bushings and bolts
-Bump stops
-Repair rear upper shock mounts
-Bar pin eliminators

Front end
-Rebuild RE LCA's and install
-Replace front drive shaft
-Front locker
-Bar pin eliminators to fix shock mounts
-Bump stops
-Simple bumper?

Armor/protection
-Install TC skid
-Track down and install gas tank skid
-Rocker protection
-Rollover protection of some sort
-Frame stiffeners?

Well, I've unfortunately come to a tough place, so the XJ will stay home this year. Instead I'll be driving the ZJ up and hitching rides with people

94xjsport94
June 9th, 2015, 23:11
Buy new fuel pump for shitbox
Install new fuel pump in shitbox
Charge battery
Think about loading half doors
Remove camper cover from truck
Change the oil in my truck
Check coolant in my truck
Charge AC in my truck
Buy 1 17" steel wheel with 8x170 BP and 5" BS
Mount new wheel in spare krawler
Replace hi pressure steering line
Re wire e fan on Jeep to a new switch

Not a whole lot this year.

Lowrange2
June 10th, 2015, 05:11
Buy new fuel pump for shitbox
Install new fuel pump in shitbox
Charge battery
Change the oil in my truck
Check coolant in my truck
Charge AC in my truck
Buy 1 17" steel wheel with 8x170 BP and 5" BS
Replace hi pressure steering line
Re wire e fan on Jeep to a new switch

Why are you so set to pull that camper shell off? It's a CAMPER!

94xjsport94
June 10th, 2015, 06:08
I think it looks better without it. I also might paint it white while it's off.

Lowrange2
June 10th, 2015, 09:40
I think it looks better without it. I also might paint it white while it's off.

Who cares what it looks like? It's a camper. Paint it white and put it back on there.

Cottontail
June 10th, 2015, 10:07
-Tires DONE
-Oil Change DONE
-Transfer case fluid change DONE
-Recharge A/C DONE

Ghost
June 12th, 2015, 14:36

Fix/replace windshield:
fix rock lights on front
New tie rod: (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship) Done!
Need to be painted and mounted.... Done!
tune up, fuel filter: Done!
plugs:
steering column:
On board air:

macgyvr
June 12th, 2015, 21:50
Be able to drive: done!

Get dad out of hospital: getting close!

Looks like we are going to cabin it.

Excursion:
Fix cruise: parts ordered
Rebuild driveshaft: need to pull it
Replace rear brake line: need to do
New tires: maybe

Trailer:
Kick the tires: need to do

Golf cart:
Kick tires and fluid check: todo

Jeep:
Fill with gas and check fluid levels: todo

mac 'tow rig needs most attention' gyvr

Ghost
June 12th, 2015, 22:10

Excursion:

Trailer:

Golf cart:

Jeep:

I expect to see some golf cart wheelies again this year.... If I need to bring some beverages to help this along please tell me your poison.....

macgyvr
June 12th, 2015, 22:15
Jack Daniels honey whiskey.

Going to have to make a scrap run to help with fuel monies.

Will be tight, going to look through my stash of parts to see what I have to sell.

Will be worth it to make the trip.

mac 'still paying the bills' gyvr

Ghost
June 13th, 2015, 14:50
after my DT trip...

Fix/replace windshield: Removed
fix rock lights on front: Done!
New tie rod: Done!
plugs:
steering column:
On board air:

macgyvr
June 13th, 2015, 18:04

Excursion:

Trailer:

Golf cart:

Jeep:

Fix cruise on the ex!

mac 'one down!' gyvr

RedHeep
June 14th, 2015, 06:47
The list has been shrunk down a little.

Headgasket
Radiator

Lowrange2
June 14th, 2015, 14:42
I've accomplished absolutely nothing on my Jeep.

BRIANHO13
June 14th, 2015, 15:35
^still plenty of time.

Lowrange2
June 14th, 2015, 18:31
Yup. Afterall, I only have to replace a brake caliper and clean it up.

Though, I'd like to finish my half doors before then.

Ghost
June 15th, 2015, 05:41
^still plenty of time.

Yup. Afterall, I only have to replace a brake caliper and clean it up.

Though, I'd like to finish my half doors before then.

Except it's supposed to be over 100 every day this week. Calling for 104 on Wednesday I think it is.

Lowrange2
June 15th, 2015, 06:03
Except it's supposed to be over 100 every day this week. Calling for 104 on Wednesday I think it is.

Right. I didn't even walk out of the house yesterday.

Snipes243
June 16th, 2015, 09:51
Clean and re-grease front wheel bearings
Install camber shims
Lube front axle shafts.
Check fluids
install 23 gallon gas tank and pump upon arrival
install synthetic winch cable
wires and plugs

Cottontail
June 16th, 2015, 12:10
All done!

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/Cottontail85/38C3A7C4-FE5E-45CC-A4F1-02E10FAD2EAC_zpsqtzwk5yd.jpg

94xjsport94
June 16th, 2015, 18:44
Buy new fuel pump for shitbox Done
Install new fuel pump in shitbox Done
Charge battery Done
Change the oil in my truck Done
Check coolant in my truck Done
Charge AC in my truck
Buy 1 17" steel wheel with 8x170 BP and 5" BS Done
Replace hi pressure steering line Done
Re wire e fan on Jeep to a new switch Done

Need to have the AC charged this week since I am going to the beach next week. Also found I am missing a rear shock bushing in my truck lol. Other than that I'm in good shape for the Gulches trip this weekend.

PacificEd
June 17th, 2015, 08:29
I did manage to get the tires and brake calipers removed along with draining the gear oil. Maybe I can get something done later in the week. The seals, bearings and locker need to go in quick since the Crawl is only two weeks away.

IllianaXJ
June 17th, 2015, 12:05
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/f0b74920a126993fac2d5638c4a1f6e1.jpg

Fix my broken foot.

PacificEd
June 17th, 2015, 12:53

Fix my broken foot.

Were you trying to be like Mac? Are you going to be able to come this year?

Ghost
June 17th, 2015, 12:55

Fix my broken foot.

That might take a while! Good thing its not the one that controls the skinny peddle!

IllianaXJ
June 17th, 2015, 13:07
Were you trying to be like Mac? Are you going to be able to come this year?

That might take a while! Good thing its not the one that controls the skinny peddle!

Ironically it happened in Ft Wayne the day after I stopped by to visit him. It's up in the air right now, I will have surgery Friday to get a plate and screws installed, so we will see what the Dr says.

I'm still allowed to drive, wife won't let me though :D

macgyvr
June 17th, 2015, 13:09
I'll be on the left, and you on the right and we'll tie the bad legs together.

mac 'blame Fort Wayne' gyvr

94xjsport94
June 18th, 2015, 08:36
AC fixed in my truck. Just need to get a spare tire mounted today or tomorrow. Looking forward to towing with 40* air.

June 18th, 2015, 08:49
Ironically it happened in Ft Wayne the day after I stopped by to visit him. It's up in the air right now, I will have surgery Friday to get a plate and screws installed, so we will see what the Dr says.

I'm still allowed to drive, wife won't let me though :D

So let her drive.

At least you can still be there!!

macgyvr
June 18th, 2015, 10:14
So let her drive.

At least you can still be there!!

We weren't coming if my wife was going to drive the truck and trailer and the jeep on the trail...

mac 'that's crazy talk' gyvr

IllianaXJ
June 18th, 2015, 10:42
We weren't coming if my wife was going to drive the truck and trailer and the jeep on the trail...

mac 'that's crazy talk' gyvr

x2

UNCC_99XJ
June 18th, 2015, 19:47
x2

No, no x2. You'll be there!

June 19th, 2015, 05:09

Damn right!

If you need seats...we'll find you seats!!

FlexdXJ
June 19th, 2015, 15:37
Renew AAA.... check
Fix winch.... Ehhhhhh
Bumpstops.... Hockey pucks will work
Wires, cap and rotor.... Incoming

IllianaXJ
June 19th, 2015, 19:03

We are out. No walking for 4 weeks. See you guys in 2016.

macgyvr
June 19th, 2015, 19:11

Get dad out of hospital: done!

Looks like we are going to cabin it: cabin reserved!

Excursion:
Fix cruise: parts ordered; fixed!
Rebuild driveshaft: need to pull it: pulled it tonight
Replace rear brake line: need to do: it's done because I was looking at the old line left in it!
New tires: maybe: prolly gonna run these
Needs at hitch, inspected tonight and it's rusted out!

Trailer:
Kick the tires: need to do...

Golf cart:
Kick tires and fluid check: todo...

Jeep:
Fill with gas and check fluid levels: todo...

mac 'cross one off add another...ugh' gyvr

RedHeep
June 21st, 2015, 15:49
Head gasket and radiator are done.

It runs.

94xjsport94
June 21st, 2015, 17:19
Get Jeep to run correctly... Thinking the CPS doesn't like heat once it reaches operating temp. Once it goes in to drive it automatically shuts off. Idles fine in park/ neutral. I'll change it when I get home Saturday. At the beach for the next 5 days. Need some time to not hate it so bad.

Truck: replace brake vacuum pump/ check valve/ belt. Not getting power brakes every once in a while. That's scary. Gotta figure out which one is broken.

macgyvr
June 21st, 2015, 18:35
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/21/f129e08af5d3608d1795f6b4b5fb3e8f.jpg

^You southern boys don't understand this...excursion hitch be wasted...new one coming...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/21/8339db8184b8f495dfc766f83622da73.jpg

Ex driveshaft going to be made new at the driveshaft place this week.

mac 'working it' gyvr

PacificEd
June 22nd, 2015, 07:18
Rented a bearing puller and slide hammer from O-Reilly's. Pulled both bearings and installed new Timken bearings and National seals. I installed the new Power Trax locker and got it almost done. Almost went in so easy I'm thinking I goofed up.

I still need to do the test they recommend to be sure it is installed properly. After that, reinstall the cover, gear oil, rotors and calipers and I should be good to go.

Ghost
June 22nd, 2015, 07:44
after my DT trip...

Fix/replace windshield: Removed
plugs:
steering column:
Relocate Battery to rear: Done!
On board air: Ordered

June 24th, 2015, 08:58
Today:

Load MJ on trailer and tie down.

start setting out clothes etc

Tomorrow:

finish packing and put stuff in jeep

load little RZR 170 into dodge bed

Friday:

Work till noon (hopefully no later)

take Calvin to RC shop for tranny gears in his SCX10

Fuel up dodge

hook dodge to trailer

Watch TV and fall asleep

Saturday:

Roll out at ~ 5 AM (maybe earlier)

ETA in Harlan 5 PM ish Saturday evening :D :D :D

Lowrange2
June 24th, 2015, 10:52
Your drive makes my drive seem much easier.

June 24th, 2015, 13:10
It's a doozy. I'm hoping we'll set a record this year though...so far we're at a best of 13.5 hours one way.

Ghost
June 24th, 2015, 13:12
It's a doozy. I'm hoping we'll set a record this year though...so far we're at a best of 13.5 hours one way.

And I thought 8 hours was bad.... Glad I left that damn State! No Offense! :cheers:

Lowrange2
June 24th, 2015, 13:29
If I had to drive 14 hours to wheel anything decent I'm fairly certain I'd be big into Auto-X or something much closer.

June 24th, 2015, 13:38
No offense taken at all. I've lived here for 34 of my 38 years...I hate it. Especially since I'm from St Louis originally...LOTS more wheeling MUCH closer to there but my parents snatched me away from it before I knew what a jeep was!!

That's why the Crawl being in Tellico was nice...we could make that in 8 hours or so.

I'm hoping 'new' Tellico turns out to be a viable 2nd trip a year option.

Florida sucks big ones.

I do love going to Harlan though...it's worth the drive.

PacificEd
June 24th, 2015, 15:00
Rented a bearing puller and slide hammer from O-Reilly's. Pulled both bearings and installed new Timken bearings and National seals. I installed the new Power Trax locker and got it almost done. Almost went in so easy I'm thinking I goofed up.

I still need to do the test they recommend to be sure it is installed properly. After that, reinstall the cover, gear oil, rotors and calipers and I should be good to go.

The test didn't go so well so in an effort to figure out why the passenger side wouldn't unlock, I ended up taking the locker back out. I reassembled everything and had the same issue. After taking a small screwdriver and prying the side gear teeth apart a bit I got it to unlock. I then was able to get both sides to unlock without using the screwdriver.

I guess I'm good to go?

BRIANHO13
June 24th, 2015, 15:01
Hell yea. Wait till it breaks all the way then you will know what you have to replace.

RedHeep
June 24th, 2015, 15:59
The test didn't go so well so in an effort to figure out why the passenger side wouldn't unlock, I ended up taking the locker back out. I reassembled everything and had the same issue. After taking a small screwdriver and prying the side gear teeth apart a bit I got it to unlock. I then was able to get both sides to unlock without using the screwdriver.

I guess I'm good to go?

Does the instructions say to function check it dry? I always do it after I put oil in the diff. Might make a difference in the trouble you're having with its operation.

vt98xj
June 24th, 2015, 17:52

I may beat you, not that I am happy about it. Coming from Wisconsin...

89eliminator
June 24th, 2015, 19:01
mine still isnt driveable. can't figure out the effing steering. keep getting air in the system somehow. less than a week left lol. was hoping to test and tune the rear end before hand but not looking like it will be possible.

UNCC_99XJ
June 24th, 2015, 19:01
Hell yea. Wait till it breaks all the way then you will know what you have to replace.

No better method of diagnosis than autopsy!

PacificEd
June 24th, 2015, 19:51
Does the instructions say to function check it dry? I always do it after I put oil in the diff. Might make a difference in the trouble you're having with its operation.

It said to use axle grease to hold things in place during assembly. Then it said to test it and afterwards add gear oil.

I did use Lucas red & tacky grease. Maybe it's too sticky?

I really think it's fine and it will work right once the gear oil is in.

macgyvr
June 24th, 2015, 19:52
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/2810946f07e658695f4090fc37682436.jpg

Getting things off the list...noticed the rear diff leaking today on the LJ, so I got that done and the oil changed in the ex...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/c26fdf48f60ea89ac3d78e88dc6246b3.jpg

This came today...new bolts will be here Friday.

mac 'slowly but surely' gyvr

Ghost
June 24th, 2015, 22:13
Love the Trike! :cheers: I think both my boys had something like it......

macgyvr
June 25th, 2015, 04:27
These toys are starting to out number me in the garage...

mac 'always tripping over one' gyvr

June 25th, 2015, 04:44
These toys are starting to out number me in the garage...

mac 'always tripping over one' gyvr

Wait until their toys not only out number yours...but cost more too!

June 25th, 2015, 04:46
Today:

Load MJ on trailer and tie down. DONE

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/tracjas/Loaded%20_zpsocgqqlj4.jpg (http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/tracjas/media/Loaded%20_zpsocgqqlj4.jpg.html)

start setting out clothes etc DONE

Tomorrow:

finish packing and put stuff in jeep STARTED

load little RZR 170 into dodge bed

Friday:

Work till noon (hopefully no later)

take Calvin to RC shop for tranny gears in his SCX10

Fuel up dodge

hook dodge to trailer

Watch TV and fall asleep

Saturday:

Roll out at ~ 5 AM (maybe earlier)

ETA in Harlan 5 PM ish Saturday evening

June 25th, 2015, 04:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 043500 View Post

I may beat you, not that I am happy about it. Coming from Wisconsin...

LOL...my drive is 695 miles 1 way...CABZ is coming from Orlando...so his is about 770.

We'll gladly give you the 'long distance award' this year if you beat that...you deserve it!!

Ghost
June 25th, 2015, 05:57
mine still isnt driveable. can't figure out the effing steering. keep getting air in the system somehow. less than a week left lol. was hoping to test and tune the rear end before hand but not looking like it will be possible.

Air in the system or a bad pump?

RedHeep
June 25th, 2015, 06:08
It said to use axle grease to hold things in place during assembly. Then it said to test it and afterwards add gear oil.

I did use Lucas red & tacky grease. Maybe it's too sticky?

I really think it's fine and it will work right once the gear oil is in.

I agree.

downs807
June 25th, 2015, 06:58

I guess I'm good to go?

Check to make sure the tolerance between the two drivers is within spec. I had the same problem and had to shim both sides to get it to work properly.

I'm sure you read this but here is the specs.
The distance between the halves of the LOCK-RIGHT, that is, between the two drivers, should be about 5/32-inch (.152-inch, or 3,86-mm). The tolerance limits are between .145-inch (3,68-mm) and .170-inch (4,32-mm). If this distance is much over .170-inch, either the case is quite worn or the thrust washers are missing or are too thin and the problem should be corrected before proceeding further.

PacificEd
June 25th, 2015, 16:38
Check to make sure the tolerance between the two drivers is within spec. I had the same problem and had to shim both sides to get it to work properly.

I'm sure you read this but here is the specs.
The distance between the halves of the LOCK-RIGHT, that is, between the two drivers, should be about 5/32-inch (.152-inch, or 3,86-mm). The tolerance limits are between .145-inch (3,68-mm) and .170-inch (4,32-mm). If this distance is much over .170-inch, either the case is quite worn or the thrust washers are missing or are too thin and the problem should be corrected before proceeding further.

According to the directions, it made a special point to be sure to remove the shims from the case when removing the clutches. When it talks about reassembly, it doesn't say anything about reusing them. They do include a steel block to use as a gauge. If the narrow side will go in, it is considered within spec. If the wide part goes it, something is wrong. I think if I put the shims back in the narrow side of the block wouldn't fit either.

I've tried calling PowerTrax and can't get a tech to call me back.

BRIANHO13
June 25th, 2015, 16:57
Fill the gap with weld.

89eliminator
June 25th, 2015, 18:04
Air in the system or a bad pump?

i think i finally got the air out, so pump?

beer_goggles_009
June 25th, 2015, 18:19
According to the directions, it made a special point to be sure to remove the shims from the case when removing the clutches. When it talks about reassembly, it doesn't say anything about reusing them. They do include a steel block to use as a gauge. If the narrow side will go in, it is considered within spec. If the wide part goes it, something is wrong. I think if I put the shims back in the narrow side of the block wouldn't fit either.

I've tried calling PowerTrax and can't get a tech to call me back.

Ed, you need to reuse those shims. I just installed an Aussie this week in a cherokee and first put it in without the shims (thats what I get for not reading the directions), measured specs before buttoning it up and it was out of spec on the large side; dissassembled and reassembled with shims and it is within spec.

Jim

PacificEd
June 25th, 2015, 18:58
Ed, you need to reuse those shims. I just installed an Aussie this week in a cherokee and first put it in without the shims (thats what I get for not reading the directions), measured specs before buttoning it up and it was out of spec on the large side; dissassembled and reassembled with shims and it is within spec.

Jim

Third times a charm? Uggh!

PacificEd
June 26th, 2015, 07:26
Third times a charm? Uggh!

I talked to a Tech at Richmond Gear and they confirmed the No-Slip 8.8 locker doesn't reuse the thrust washers. I told him what all I had done and how the gauge tests went and he said it was installed correctly and that I was good to go.

WhoooooHoooooo!!

I also got a haircut so I can look good for you guys.

Lowrange2
June 26th, 2015, 07:47
I also got a haircut so I can look good for you guys.

I need to do this!

macgyvr
June 26th, 2015, 08:00
I will have more beard and hair than you have ever seen me with...

mac 'I might need a name tag' gyvr

macgyvr
June 26th, 2015, 08:04

Get dad out of hospital: done!

Looks like we are going to cabin it: cabin reserved!

Excursion:
Fix cruise: parts ordered; fixed!
Rebuild driveshaft: need to pull it: pulled it tonight -hope to pick it up today!
Replace rear brake line: need to do: it's done because I was looking at the old line left in it!
New tires: maybe: prolly gonna run these
Needs at hitch, inspected tonight and it's rusted out!-hitch replaced!
Oil change: done!

Trailer:
Kick the tires: need to do...

Golf cart:
Kick tires and fluid check: todo...

Jeep:
Fill with gas and check fluid levels: todo...
rear diff leaking: fixed!

Hope to have EX out of the garage tonight, its been in there all week...and it isn't a small truck.

Still trying to nail down a house/dog sitter.

mac 'slowly but surely' gyvr

Ghost
June 26th, 2015, 08:14
after my DT trip...

Fix/replace windshield: Done!
plugs:
steering column:
On board air: HERE! Mount in production!

PacificEd
June 26th, 2015, 08:48
I will have more beard and hair than you have ever seen me with...

mac 'I might need a name tag' gyvr

mac 'Chewbacca' ryvr

94xjsport94
June 26th, 2015, 18:30
7.3 got a new vacuum pump. Yay power brakes!!

Now to figure out the XJ issue so I can bring it up...

macgyvr
June 26th, 2015, 21:34
Dads back in the hospital, my inner passengers side axle seal is blown out and my driveshaft isn't done for the ex..,

mac 'crappy day' gyvr

PacificEd
June 26th, 2015, 21:38
Sorry Mac. Get your Dad well.

Ghost
June 27th, 2015, 05:38
Sorry Mac. Get your Dad well.

x2

Ghost
June 27th, 2015, 16:43
after my DT trip...

Fix/replace windshield: Done!
plugs:
steering column:
On board air: Done!

I also found my Track bar Heims sloppy and replaced them. Just towed it up town to wash it good and see how the new fenders are working. I think I only have one or two things that have come up I want to address if I have time. build a door to cover where I keep all my straps and stuff and install some sort of rear view mirror.

~Spanky~
June 28th, 2015, 13:17
Crawl bound . . . soon…
Upper and lower radiator hoses changed
New Radiator
Water pump
Thermostat and housing
Electric fan
Head Gasket
Exhaust manifold
Clean and minor porting of the intake manifold
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
Steering Damper replaced
Rear brakes fixed
Head lights replaced
LED Lights added
Oil flushed and changed (Now the idiot light comes on when hot at idle) No difference in the running
A/C working well in the chill zone after some searching on NAXJA. Hint: Do not trust the “Can Gauge”
Adjustable Tie Rod, adjusted correctly.
Cleaned out all the getting ready junk
Dash short fixed. Simply cleaned with contact cleaner and added bulb grease
Tools –ready
Cooler-ready
Folding chairs-ready
Snake hook-ready
Camera-ready
Fingers crossed
Standing by….. Maiden voyage

June 28th, 2015, 14:10
Well...made it to Harlan. Broke something already.

So I guess I still need to fix stuff before the crawl!!

I'd rather have it broken here than just being yard art at home though :D

RedHeep
June 29th, 2015, 12:47
New radiator and head gasket have appeared to fix the highway overheating problem.

She tried to kill me on the test drive.

Tightened both front hubs, retorqued the drag link bolts at the knuckle and the pitman arm, reinstalled the winch and all the lights, routed all the power wires back to the battery. The new battery box is going to need some fabrication, so it's in there and secured temporarily.

The passenger side front caliper is stuck and dragging the rotor, so I'm picking up two new front calipers and pads on the way home.

The headlights don't come on, I think I forgot to plug something in when I put the header panel back on, so I should probably look at that. It's summer though, so I won't be driving in the dark much.

And I have to replace the turbo tonight on the truck or there won't be a tow rig on Thursday.

macgyvr
June 29th, 2015, 12:49
Dad is out of the hospital yesterday.

Picked up the rehashed EX driveshaft so I don't have to tow in front wheel drive.

Hoping to start a check of the Jeep tonight.

Haven't even looked at the trailer yet.

And my yard needs cleaned up after a giant storm rolled through on Saturday morning.

mac 'took Wed off to hopefully get everything ready' gyvr

macgyvr
June 29th, 2015, 18:51
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/29/bd7b997cfc7eabe690171994b5e150d6.jpg

Found my trailer.

mac 'Saturday's limb damage' gyvr

Ghost
June 29th, 2015, 18:54
I'm done!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/xjghost/Harlan%20NAXJA%20Crawl%202015/1AE16A1F-5C13-4136-B79E-9803F6A691E3_zpsqdu22zfg.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/xjghost/media/Harlan%20NAXJA%20Crawl%202015/1AE16A1F-5C13-4136-B79E-9803F6A691E3_zpsqdu22zfg.jpg.html)

Weighed the truck trailer with jeep fully loaded for Harlan on the way to Deanna's tonight.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/xjghost/Harlan%20NAXJA%20Crawl%202015/43680BD2-0C26-4EC9-AD0F-09CC04FF79FE_zpsi1cjhh1p.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/xjghost/media/Harlan%20NAXJA%20Crawl%202015/43680BD2-0C26-4EC9-AD0F-09CC04FF79FE_zpsi1cjhh1p.jpg.html)

macgyvr
July 1st, 2015, 17:58
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/01/56065208d8a8afa7a6beb78dcae95b85.jpg

If it isn't done...we will have to fix there...

mac 'see ya tomorrow...if all goes as planned' gyvr

01tj
July 1st, 2015, 19:40
Looks like I won't be the only TJ there!

94xjsport94
July 1st, 2015, 22:00
Mac has a fancy LJ.

Picking the Jeep up tomorrow at 7:30. Need to bring it home and put a radiator in it and give it a good test drive, load the truck/ trailer, pack clothes and food and I'll be heading that way as soon as I get off work on Friday morning at 12AM.