• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repair corroded ware harness?

89XJ2543

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I'm new here but have been searching around for answers to the infamous no brake light issue and everything I've checked so far has been good. Bulbs are good, fuse is good, tried turning hazards on and off a few times then check brakes and still nothing, I replaced the switch on the pedal with a JY piece(parts stores would've had to order one), and I checked the wire harness connection on the engine side of the firewall and noticed some corrosion on the majority of the wires there. My question is has anyone replaced this? Anything else I should check? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming yours is an 89 judging from your user name.

I would say the most common cause is the socket themselves.

On my 89 they are pure crap.

Remove the bulb, use something to scrape the surface of all the contacts.

Also the grounding to the bulb in the socket sucks.

After scraping the contacts in the base of the socket if they still don't work take a piece of wire. Ground one end and with the other end touch the side of the bulb with the wire.

If the bulb suddenly starts working........

If you have an 89 XJ then your blinkers / hazzards have nothing to do with the brake lights since the turn signals are their own bulb / socket.

Yes mine is an 89. Total brain fart on posting that lol. I've been all over the web trying to find any info to fix this and tried pretty much everything I found. I saw somewhere that the brake and turn/hazard were on the same wire and that's why I tried what I did. This is my first jeep also so I have to learn how they work. Thanks for the help. I'll try what you said after work tomorrow and report back.

Hi. I'm new here but have been searching around for answers to the infamous no brake light issue and everything I've checked so far has been good. Bulbs are good, fuse is good, tried turning hazards on and off a few times then check brakes and still nothing, I replaced the switch on the pedal with a JY piece(parts stores would've had to order one), and I checked the wire harness connection on the engine side of the firewall and noticed some corrosion on the majority of the wires there. My question is has anyone replaced this? Anything else I should check? Thanks in advance.

What happens if you unplug the brake switch and jumper the terminals?

So I feel like an idiot. :doh: There's another connector a few inches away on the wires from the switch connector and one of the spade terminals on it wasn't seated properly. I pushed it back in and my lights work again. At least I have clean brake light bulb connections now too. Thanks again for the help guys.

So I feel like an idiot. :doh: There's another connector a few inches away on the wires from the switch connector and one of the spade terminals on it wasn't seated properly. I pushed it back in and my lights work again. At least I have clean brake light bulb connections now too. Thanks again for the help guys.

Idiot nothing!! You dived in and fixed it.

Being as you have a Renix Jeep, you oughta click on this and do Tips 1 through 5 as applicable.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115935

Thanks cruiser. Now the other electrical gremlin I have to figure out is my drivers side front running light doesn't turn on outside but the indicator inside stays lit on the cluster.

Thanks cruiser. Now the other electrical gremlin I have to figure out is my drivers side front running light doesn't turn on outside but the indicator inside stays lit on the cluster.

Do exactly what I suggested you do to your rear sockets, but do it to the front one.

Crap connection in the socket will cause exactly what you describe.

Back