• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parked came back and now gauges are not working

randomguy310

NAXJA Forum User
like the title says never had a issue before , but parked and came back to leave and nothing is working, the clock spring has been bad a while.. not sure if that would effect the gauges any help would be great its a 1998 xj 4.0 auto 4x4 231 tc

Last edited:
like the title says never had a issue before , but parked and came back to leave and nothing is working, the clock spring has been bad a while.. not sure if that would effect the gauges any help would be great its a 1998 xj 4.0 auto 4x4 231 tc

If you suspect the clockspring is bad, remove the complete cover from the Junction Block, fuse panel, in the passenger footwell, and remove the Horn Relay. When you get the JB cover off you'll see three black relays. The Horn Relay is the middle of the three.

If everything comes back to life it is the clockspring. Leave the Horn Relay out untill you get a chance to change the clockspring. Use your middle finger to signal your intentions while the relay is removed.

just tried that and no change, still no gauges. I did the test on them and they go threw the cycle when you hold trip reset and turn on the key, I pulled the cluster out to check connection and put back in still no change have checked the grounds that were easy to see. anymore ideas or help would be awesome

If the instrument cluster self-test results in all the lights and gauges indicating, there is probably a connection issue. Most commonly it will be the pins on the backside of the cluster, or plug they connect into.

If the instrument cluster self-test results in all the lights and gauges indicating, there is probably a connection issue. Most commonly it will be the pins on the backside of the cluster, or plug they connect into.

so even though they self test will pass and work it could still be a connections issue? ive pulled the cluster out put back in with key on to see if it will have any movement, only the oil pres will move slightly

If the cluster passes the self test, then the logical conclusion is a connection issue. PCM failure is rather unlikely.

Did you try hitting the top of the dash above the instrument cluster to see if the instruments come back to life?

Is so, and they do, it's probably the instrument cluster C2 connector pin cavities that are bad. Chrysler has a TSB kit to replace that connector.

yeah I have the dash a part and have taken it out and back in hit it wiggled it moved it shook it.. the only one that slightly moves is the oil gauge but not working.. I have another cluster from a 2000 that I will try someone said i read that the air bag sensor may mess up gauges? I am at a loss , been reading and try everything I have read or was told so far..

yeah I have checked the fuses and done everything I have read and been told.. I am getting the other cluster tommorrow. will go from there I guess

well was reading on another forum to check the i.o.d. fuse and it was good but took out and in a couple times and now the gauges seem to work, I am not sure if that was it. I didn't check before I took fuse out to see if they were working.

Back