• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need info for grand cherokee dash into 87 cherokee

Madspeed

NAXJA Forum User
Been searchin and readin fur hours:doh: for the love of pete can someone tell me the newest complete dash and interior will fit my lil 87 Cherokee ?
Im putting in an ls 4l60e 231c eng trans transfer case and Id sure love to get electric speedo newer more function heat ac blending and FFS CUPHOLDERS! :dunce: better seats are a plus. Am I correct the later 97 up G/C seats wont make nice with my tracs? FFS I have a chopsaw plasma cutter tig welder mig and all so I aint scared. Id just not like to go yank out an entire interior to find it just will not work. Hasta
MUCHOS GARCIAS :looney:

97+ Cherokee classic interiors will swap over and fit but it is a lot of work. Grand Cherokee seats will fit with little modification. Easiest is to add a piece of angle iron to the floor for the front feet to bolt to. Or you can fab adapter brackets from new seat to original 87 base.

Edit: link to multiple Renix seat swap options.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1117029

Last edited:
97+ Cherokee classic interiors will swap over and fit but it is a lot of work. Grand Cherokee seats will fit with little modification. Easiest is to add a piece of angle iron to the floor for the front feet to bolt to. Or you can fab adapter brackets from new seat to original 87 base.

This is the needed answer thank you fine sir. so th GC dash wont bolt in but a newer Chickoree will?

Yup, you definately need information, and you needed it BEFORE you posted this.

Take point... let us know how it goes.
And WTF is this ^^^ supposed to be good for?

Yes, you can put Grand seats into an XJ. There are several threads on it. Yes, you can put a newer Cherokee dash into an older model XJ. There are several threads where people have done it in an MJ. I don't recall one where they did it to an XJ. I've not tried either so I can't be of first-hand knowledge to you.

Your title, though, asks about doing a Grand DASH into a Cherokee. To my knowledge that's never been done, and owing an XJ, a ZJ, and a WJ, I don't see how it could possible be done. The contours and depth and width and angles between all 3 Jeeps are way different.

Lastly, you make mention of cupholders, but that has nothing to do with seats or a dashboard, that's pure console, and frankly I don't know if you can put a late model XJ or even a ZJ console into an '87 XJ.

You'll have to pardon the abruptness of that previous post - some people have less tolerance for newer users coming in and asking questions that have available answers in the search. Keep asking, and you'll find people that will want to help you --- just make sure your questions are well thought out, clear, and are done after a thorough search.

Thank you for the honest replies. as for searching? I searched for over two hours is it really that hard for others to just answer the questions if they know? I not only searched here but first I used Google which led me here. I really thought the entire purpose of forums was to help not get out your anger issues. Thanks to those that are of the helping nature.
Yea I want to change the entire interior, all but door panels. I want a newer dash for electric speedo and better heat ac mode selection. I want center counsel to have cup holders factory not boogered in. I am looking to GC seats and Center counsel and Cherokee dash. I figured the GC would not be correct shape or width. So will a later XJ dash physically fit? lets not worry about wiring as that's very easy for me. Shoot For a min I thought I posted this on Pirat4x4 where ALL the TROLLS exists =)
So Lets recap the really important part. LETS HELP EACH OTHER NOT FLAME.
Good day =)

Later xj dash and console will fit. Comanches get this swap often

A grand will be too wide and require fab work. And probably not look pretty when you make it work.

Why do you want an electronic speedo? T case swap?

To quote mehself =) "Im putting in an L, 4l60e and 231c eng trans transfer case and Id sure love to get electric speedo "
so ahh yep the 231 s10 tcase is electric speedo. I also want better blend door functionality. I do not like the early system is floor only or defrost only I would love to have a fogless window AND warm feet
Thanks for the info.

AHAHA troll feeding =) thats good and thank you for that link. Why the hell cant I find them darn threads. and um I need to pay or donate of some sort to put a sig? I have seen a lot of members with elictrical questions and need for diagrams of which I am very proficient in and have alldata and mitchell. I would like to put a sig that says this and my email if some one should need this type of help.

Last edited:
AHAHA troll feeding =) thats good and thank you for that link. Why the hell cant I find them darn threads. and um I need to pay or donate of some sort to put a sig? I have seen a lot of members with elictrical questions and need for diagrams of which I am very proficient in and have alldata and mitchell. I would like to put a sig that says this and my email if some one should need this type of help.

Sometimes the threads are located in the Chapter forums and are hard to find. Searching for the correct terms and combination of words can be challenging and frustrating with the forum software. No worries about asking for some help finding the right information.

Signatures are reserved for club members. Membership information can be found here: http://www.naxja.org/html/membership_faq.htm

Also, just to note that posting of copyrighted materials on the NAXJA forums is against the posted forum rules and your posts will be deleted. Alldata and Mitchell all charge for their information, posting it in a public forum may lead to your own subscription to be revoked.

Yes, you need to be a paying member in order to put a signature. Go to your page with PM and click on the Paid subscriptions on the left. It will be self explanatory from there. EDIT: haha ^^ beat me to it. ^^

97+ cherokee center consoles are super easy to swap and didn't require any mods when I did it on my 88. I also swapped in the late model e-brake and trans shifter... But it sounds like you're swapping the AW4 out anyways.

When using google search, add "naxja" at the end and it makes things a little bit easier I've found.

Great news then. NoI get the not posting alldata mitchell fact is some of you need this info and since I pay for it im glad to email it when needed. Electrical for most is the most challanging part of diy. Im very good at it and would like to contribute.

Back