• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition key doesn't turn on

jstaples

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, 4L, 4WD, Auto. My problem is the ignition switch. I can turn the key to the accessory position but not the on position. Works sometimes with a lot key wiggling but not steering wheel wiggling. I suspect it's the lock cylinder. I have a FSM so I thought I'd take things apart and take a look. But I can't even get past removing the upper and lower steering column shroud. Anyone know what kind of screws are holding it together? Neither a flat blade or Philips don't feel like they are seating into the screws. Also, any other hints after I get that apart?

I'm guessing they are torx screws (darned if I know), but I always take mine apart with a 1/8" Allen wrench (Hex Key) I have, that fits good enough. I don't have a torx small enough and long enough to fit in that hole. You'll need an Allen wrench over two inches long to hit bottom.

Before you get too far in there, disconnect the battery. It would really be a bummer to get a face full of air bag. I don't know if it is possible to trip one working on the column, but I really wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Update: Used Torx 20 bit to remove upper and lower shroud. Then Torx 20 anti-tamper bit to remove ignition switch from column. Also Torx 20 anti-tamper bit to remove cylinder from switch. I tried the graphite which helped, but still not normal turning easily, so I'm going to replace the cylinder.

Back