• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK on the drivers side only?

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
Just throwing this out there.... Can I go OTK on the driver side only?

I don't have any bumpsteer now, and am trying to save a few bucks. More clearance on that side would be a plus.

IMG_05092_zps64269b8f.jpg

Yes, it can be done with a weld in insert. You will have to modify or get rid of the sway bar mount though.

As stated, it is common for people to do driver OTK only.

Yea I was confused because of how long ago I looked into it. iirc I saw some people went out of their way to do it with the currie steering using lhd parts or maybe cutting sleeving and welding. Can't remember but it's nothing I would want to do. Edit; it was Xjeeper.

I think I remember not doing it on the Drivers now because I haven't been hitting my steering really. I also don't want to raise the sway link mount on the drivers side. My quicker discos are as short as they get to get the sway bar angle JKS reccomends in the installation manual they came with. Maybe that doesn't matter much if the sway bar is tilted up more idk. Doesn't matter much since I haven't had trouble hitting it I guess.

Last edited:
I did this on my XJ for a while. I only raised the sway bar link on the driver's side, then cut and rewelded the one JKS link to shorten it.

If you go this route, be advised that only about an inch of the lower half of the endlink is threaded. I had to cut out a small section, then weld the threaded portion back onto the bottom to make it work. PITA.

How about a RHD XJ drag link and flip both sides up? AKA "Poor man's high steer"
This would obviously require relocation or removal of your sway bar mounts.

Re: Re: OTK on the drivers side only?

How about a RHD XJ drag link and flip both sides up? AKA "Poor man's high steer"
This would obviously require relocation or removal of your sway bar mounts.

I did this briefly, but I did not feel comfortable with the small nylock nuts that come with the OTK inserts holding the steering in place. I still have the nearly new RHD draglink (less than 200 miles) sitting in my garage.

I did this briefly, but I did not feel comfortable with the small nylock nuts that come with the OTK inserts holding the steering in place. I still have the nearly new RHD draglink (less than 200 miles) sitting in my garage.

Can you explain that better on what you mean by the small nylock nut? My stock drag link is bent so I'm debating on the poor mans otk with a rhd drag link

Re: Re: OTK on the drivers side only?

Can you explain that better on what you mean by the small nylock nut? My stock drag link is bent so I'm debating on the poor mans otk with a rhd drag link

Unless it's changed since I did mine the inserts come with a thinner than normal nylock nut. With the OTK insert the mounting thickness is increased and there are not enough threads to use a castle nut and cotter pin.

Unless it's changed since I did mine the inserts come with a thinner than normal nylock nut. With the OTK insert the mounting thickness is increased and there are not enough threads to use a castle nut and cotter pin.

You are correct. The extra material on the insert doesn't allow for castle nut. Mine came with a lower profile flanged nut that was knurled on the underside. I used red loctite on it.

Hmmmm....I've got a bag of goferit inserts in the top drawer of my toolbox that I ordered a year or two back. I'm pretty sure they didn't come with nuts.

My insert had a decent size flange style nut. Was planning on using some loctite. Most of the other brand inserts seem to have the smaller nylock nuts. You could always double nut it along with some loctite?

My insert had a decent size flange style nut. Was planning on using some loctite. Most of the other brand inserts seem to have the smaller nylock nuts. You could always double nut it along with some loctite?

I don't think there was enough room to double nut mine. I just checked it before every road trip to be safe.

Back