• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks. Good quality + Long travel?

Kristian

NAXJA Forum User
My project is nearing completion and selecting shocks is turning out to be far more difficult than I had imagined. I have read multiple shock reviews and discussions and now I'm here :)

Rig is a Dark Blue 96XJ with an HP44/SF60, ARBs/410s, 5.5 springs(+other) running 35s. Setup is somewhat low cog and up-travel focused.

Front estimate is 15-16 compressed and 26+++ for extension.
based on:
Front mtm at ride height =21/22. Droop/[email protected]. Unseat@30+

Rear estimate is 14 compressed and 23/24 extension
Based on:
Rear mtm at ride hight = 19. Droop@22/23

Shocks.
Front 16-26+
Rear 14-23/224

-5100s sizing options and travel wont work for me (shame, I love them)
-Rusty's 64/36 would work. Reviews are mixed. Don't like the white/red.
-Zone offroad: not long enough.
-Pro Comp: Who knows, website is very lacking.
-Monroe: Limited travel ratio.
-Rubicon Express: found a front RX2621B but can't find a matching rear14/23
-RC: Reviews don't look good.
-Superlift: No experience and can't stand the red.

Besides Bilstein 5100s who makes a very good/great shock? Any other brands I should consider? Anything I missed above? Considering the 64/36 Rusty's but not a fan of the white/red and I would like to have something a bit nicer on there if I can find it.

Hi Frank :) Thank you for the suggestions but those are not going to work for me. I'm shopping in the $50-100 each range and firm on no more than 16 and 14 for compressed length F/R.

Finally found FOX shock specs and they are not going to work either. Low travel and too short in the rear.
http://www.synergymfg.com/Fox-2.0-P...Body-Shock-for-Jeep-p-30238.html#.VMSW2_7F-vs

Rusty's Shocks may be my only choice... Good travel for their length, lots of length options and CHEAP. I imagine this setup will change many times over the next year so cheap is good, for now.

depending on whether you prefer a soft, or a stiff suspension, I'd run 255/70 or 360/80 in the front and probably stick with 255/70 in the back.
if you can pick a shock that's close to what you need, you can always mod your bumpstops accordingly to perfect the travel.
IMO, bilstein's application specific valving for jeeps tends to run on the softer side. i have 255/70's front and rear and feel like the fronts could be more firm, especially when the going gets faster in the rough stuff. that's just me...

Looks like 5125s might work... http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/5125_Applications.pdf

33-185606
33-186542

33-230351
33-230375

Going to call Bilstein in the next few days as I need to know if the valving would work for me. Guessing with bumpers, winch, sliders, skids, camping gear, recovery gear and extra parts the extra valving could be a good thing.

If you are buying shocks based on color scheme, you're doing it wrong. Paint is cheap.

I'f I had to do it over again, I would go with a rebuildable shock from the start

Put any of those in the SEARCH FIELD on my site.

ANY of them? Are you sure about that?

Bilstein does not publish valving for vehicle specific shocks.

Ah but the question has been asked and that information is posted online.

IMO, bilstein's application specific valving for jeeps tends to run on the softer side. i have 255/70's front and rear and feel like the fronts could be more firm, especially when the going gets faster in the rough stuff. that's just me...

How does 255/70 feel around town?

If you are buying shocks based on color scheme, you're doing it wrong. Paint is cheap.

Jumping to conclusions aren't you? Not a big fan of painting shocks but I have considered it. Generally factory finish holds up better, warranties are sometimes void by "any" alteration of the original product and resale value / ability are considerations for me. It is an option though.

I'f I had to do it over again, I would go with a rebuildable shock from the start

Curious what you run. Looks like the rebuildable Bilsteins have very little travel.

Not sure where exactly you are located, but I have a set of Bil 5150s that I may consider selling.
12" travel, about 15.5" collapsed.
You can PM me and we can discuss further if you like.

Yeah, and if they don't show on my site let me know.
7100's have plenty of travel, if you select the right shock.

The first 2 pulled right up but

33-230351 = "There is no product that matches the search criteria"
33-230375 = "There is no product that matches the search criteria"
33-230368 = "There is no product that matches the search criteria"

I'll check with my supplier and let ya know, could be old or could be new.

Thanks Frank.

WTF are you talking about ? very little travel? low travel? both fox and bilsteins are available with more than 14" of travel. Ive conversed with kenyan princes that made more sense.

Notice I said "Looks like", as in "from what I know" or "from the information I have come across". When comparing shocks the Fox Specs that I found for my application had 1 to 2 inches less travel than other offerings. Now perhaps I should have said "comparatively less travel". Also with the Bilstein 5100s that fit my application they also appeared low travel (as in less travel when compared to other offerings) but that was primarily because there was a 2 inch gap in compress lengths for XJ specific shocks offerings. Since then I have learned more about the 5125s, 5150s and 5160s and those gaps in offerings are no longer a problem.

"Available" with more than 14 inches of travel does not mean anything if they don't fit.

As for the Bilstein rebuildable options as Frank (serious offroad) and now you have pointed out yes, they are "available" in long travel options. At the time I had no idea what offerings were rebuildable so I googled: "rebuildable Bilstein Shocks" and then pulled up the product page for that series where I found it to say "available in 8 and 9 inch travel options". I did not realize Bilstein offered so many rebuildable shocks at that time.

You either need to do a considerable amount more research on shocks or start listening to those that have.

To start with, you are going about this the wrong way.
If you are truly concerned with performance then you will get the best shock you can afford with the same travel length as your Coil spring. Then setup the mounts however they need to be to maximize the travel without over traveling (unseating) the coil.

You either need to do a considerable amount more research on shocks or start listening to those that have.

To start with, you are going about this the wrong way.
If you are truly concerned with performance then you will get the best shock you can afford with the same travel length as your Coil spring. Then setup the mounts however they need to be to maximize the travel without over traveling (unseating) the coil.

the dude has a 50-100 dollar budget per shock. let him get white bodies and he'll come around like everyone else.

the dude has a 50-100 dollar budget per shock. let him get white bodies and he'll come around like everyone else.

Bilstein 5100s aren't my favorite shock, but they can be had for less than 100$.

Cut the lower mounts off and move them down and you're off to at least a halfway decent start.

:doh:

Did you read the first post? That's exactly what I am doing. All of the measurements are there for everyone to see.

You actually seem like you are trying to help me, how exactly do you feel I am going about this "all wrong"? I have posted the budget, the measurements and what little I know about shocks that are offered inside that budget.

And "Start Listening" To what exactly? Not a single person has posted a shock series and model that fits my application, within my budget and the pros and cons of that shock. I gather that 7100s are liked (despite being way out of budget) and maybe some others. What others? Don't know as nothing specific has been posted.

Yup, for now that is the budget and for a dedicated camping/exploring/crawling rig it is reasonable. I was only considering the Rusty's because I could not find what I wanted in a 5100. Since then I have discovered the 5125s and thus the gaps in compressed length offerings and the low valving of the 5100 series is no longer a problem. Like I already said:

Since then I have learned more about the 5125s, 5150s and 5160s and those gaps in offerings are no longer a problem.

Cut the lower mounts off and move them down and you're off to at least a halfway decent start.

Again, what are you talking about? This is a fresh build with a 44/60 so there is nothing to cut off. I can place the lower mounts wherever I want. I have mocked that up, flexed it best I can for now, and posted the measurements for everyone to see.

I'm sure people are just trying to be helpful but it feels like the only thing that people are paying attention to is my post count.

"OMG you are picking shockes based on color!"
-Nope. Picking shocks bases on performance per dollar, compressed length and travel. The color however is a consideration for reasons stated earlier. If it does what I want and looks good all the better. If it doesn't quite travel as much as I would like, and looks bad (imo) that's an extra strike against it.

"OMG Noobie you need to measure!"
-I have, I am, and I will.
-I know distance between mounts Front and Rear. 21/22 and 18/19 (2 numbers for each as their is some flexibility in lower mount location and I can delete the upper stud converters in the front gaining 1.1 inches.
-I know droop Front and Rear: Front Unseats at 25.5 and looses the coil around 30+. Rear full droop at about 22
-Maxed compressed are best guesses for now based on %75 compressed numbers. (this will be measured again prior to ordering shocks to double check) Front and Rear: 16/17 and 14/15.

"OMG you have a budget!?! You NOOBIE!"
Not one questions about my intended use. Not one questions about if it will be A DD, trailered, or driven to the trail. Not one questions about what kind of wheeling I plan on doing or at what speed. Not one questions about how long I plan to keep this setup or what changes I see in the future. Yet having a budget is frowned upon? To be clear this will be a dedicated Camping/ Exploring/ Crawling rig. I plan to drive it to the trail most of the time and trailer it for some of the more challenging trails or those far away. I doubt it will ever see sand or bumps at speed and it will never see DD duty.

Special thanks to Sousky, Hellbent and Serious Offroad for genuinely trying to help and share knowledge, I appreciate it :)

Back