• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird banging/knock in steering.

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I am trying to diagnose some weird noises coming from my friends 1996 Sport. Automatic. It has two main noises. 1) Snapping/wrenching noise when turning tight turns. This definitely sounds like a steering element and is coming from somewhere under the engine area. 2) Knock/clunk coming from right under my feet area when driving, sometimes when shifting gears. I drive a 1991 5speed and I've never heard anything like it so I'm wondering if it related to the transmission. I wish I could be more specific. But between the two it makes a weird clunk of some kind about every 10-20 seconds while driving. ahhhh jeeps..

ideas?

thx - TJ

Inspect the steering and suspension. Look for worn axle u-joints, worn suspension bushings, broken suspension mounts, worn steering components, frame cracks at steering box, worn engine/transmission mounts, loose exhaust. Climb under while somebody turns the steering, look and feel for the source.

Repetitive popping on turns probably axle u-joint, cycling through a busted cap. Could be roll in the shafts. I would probably put the front end on jack stands and have one guy watch while the other guy turns the wheels.

Last edited:
Back